Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep25_banner.thumb.jpg.9e57eee22cad68fd6b67a87befeaa79b.jpg

Text from Cosmic Pursuits reads " Every once in a great while you might be treated to an outstandingly bright meteor (called a "fireball") or a meteor that silently explodes in a strobe-like flash along its path (called a "bolide")."

It is a cold, crystal-clear night here in Surrey, the first clear night since returning from France a couple of weeks ago with the 3-inch TS Photoline refractor I bought while away but never got a chance to use.  I thought to spend a little time exploring the moon with a range of EPs to get a feel for the 'scope.  We live in a cul-de-sac in a quiet village and the best view of the moon was from between two parked cars at the roadside.  Armed with a laminated map of the moon I set about identifying features which could be seen with outstanding clarity, but after a while thought to look for wider targets.  To the east is heavy light pollution from Gatwick Airport and the moon was not helping but I spotted a faint fuzzy which turned out to be a small star cluster that I spent some time exploring.  At about 20.40 GMT I decided to call it a night and as I stood up a brilliant white light sped across my sight line, a blister of light expanding along its length before exploding in a ball of red and orange - then nothing.  A breath-taking moment I stood stunned and waited for more.  No more came but that was a moment to treasure.  I hope I wasn't the only one to see it.

• Like 4

I’ve witnessed those way in the past . Your right , a sight never to be forgotten and a treasure to see . I wonder if others are watching the Leonids tonight ?? 

It is truly an amazing moment when you witness a 'wow' meteor! I've been lucky to have seen a couple that were impressive and always look up into the dark sky hoping to see another one.