Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Andromeda Galaxy

jACK101

I am struggling. I have been trying for the last 2 hours to find Andromeda and can't. I know my eyesight isn't so good these days so I was using a modified Canon 600d on live view on my Celestron CPC925 with 0.63 focal reducer. The camera fed into APT so that I could get a picture on screen. I set up the scope pointing due south and elevation 76 degrees as measured by a digital inclinometer and then scanned as far as 15 degrees to the east. This was about an hour before Andromeda was due to be due south.

I altered the inclination slightly up and down and continued scanning. I could see individual stars and I could focus quite accurately but I could not find Andromeda. The moon was out and was illuminated 70%.

Is it unreasonable to expect to see Andromeda under these conditions?

I also took a series of photographs which showed individual stars but no galaxy. Andromeda is pretty large. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Jack

Your FOV is very small and will not show the whole of andromeda. Here is a screenshot of a FOV calculator. The small green square is your FOV. 

You could always try uploading a jpeg image to nova.astometry.net to platesolve your image to see how far off you really are. 

Screenshot_20181117-225659.png

I think your best bet is to use a pair of binoculars  (if you have some), the Andromeda galaxy is a large object and with your setup you would only be able to see a small section and it would be very dim.

A short focal length is the way to go. ?

Live view on the 600D won't pick up any hints of M31 or nebulosity of M42, for example. It's like video mode where Its taking and displaying many short exposures a second. Try taking 15/20 second snapshots at ISO1600. You should definitely pick up the core of Andromeda then. As above, your field of view is very narrow with the Celestron. A good set of binoculars is a good shout.

You should be able to star hop to it using the finder scope if you've got one.

As mentioned not much of it in the FOV, in my 10" I just get the core.

I found a right angle magnifying finder fitted to the view finder showed it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Right-Angle-View-Finder-Eyecup-Eyepiece-for-Canon-Nikon-Pentax-SONY-DSLR-Camera/223177397731?hash=item33f668d5e3:g:VgoAAOSw3T5b1taX:rk:22:pf:0

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I knew right where it should be and even thought I could faintly make it out with averted vision, but still struggled to get it in the fov of my 8" dob. 

But when I finally did, the core immediate stood out!!

Then after viewing for over thirty minutes, in a comfortable chair so I could relax, more wispy detail began to show. 

Hang in there. 

Archived