Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M76 - 10-inch dob 17-11-2018 20:00hrs

fwm891

Despite the moon being bright and a milky sky I finally managed to find M76. One of those things where I was certain I was in the right spot but nothing there without a filter. I tried a UHC, nowt, tried an OIII and pop there it was. At x52 (1250mm + 24mm EP) it was a small rectangular shape forming a triangle with an orange and a white star in the same fov. Pushed up to x89 (14mm EP) and OIII filter and the rectangle began to break up around the edges. I added a x2 barlow but the sky really wasn't up to it. Then went back to x52 no filter and there it was, faint and not very rectangular looking, still faint with no filter at x89 but just a little more shape.

I'll try early tomorrow morning when the moon has set and see what other new objects I can find...

Francis

Interesting findings and report Francis. I know that some papers recommend UHC as being the best filter for M76 with the O-III coming a close second. However, The Night Sky Observer's Guide by Kepple and Sanner and Sue French's Deep Sky Wonders recommend a O-III filter which matches your findings Francis.. Hopefully its going to be clear tomorrow so I will compare my Lumicon UHC against the Astronomik O-III in my 12" Dob.

Thanks All.

Well I found 5 more M's early this morning (95, 96, 105, 53 &67) before being clouded out. So my tally of M's has now reached 35. Also revisited some others (just to make sure I could still find them). So Good evening followed by a better morning.

Francis

Archived