Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moon Lovely NOW, Plus Change Of 'Scope

cloudsweeper

4.45pm - clear - Moon just past first quarter - decided on the the ST120 frac as a change from the Bresser Dob which has been dominant lately.  I know the Dob has considerable advantages, but using the frac on the Skytee II was pleasingly easy, especially with the slo-mo knobs.  Also, the Moon has been out of range for the Dob in the early evening, even when it was on a platform.

CA? - no problem at all, only evident on the limb, and the best views of course are along the terminator where CA does not arise.

Plato, x100 with the 6mm TV Radian - too bright for detail this time, but the general view was splendid.  Up to x150 and poorish seeing became evident.  x200 was too high for that reason.  Back to x100 and the straight line of the Alpine Valley east of Plato was good and clear.

Mare Imbrium - craters le Verrier and Helicon were black spots, with just their western edges like tiny bright crescents.  Many other craterlets in MI were clearly seen.

To the east of MI lay Archimedes with its mountain range below looking quite sharp despite being directly lit.  Then down to the famous Copernicus with Montes Carpatus above, all showing more detail due to proximity of the terminator.  The complex terraced walls of Copernicus were noticeable, as were two clear peaks of its central mountains.  x120 revealed a bit more detail.

The brief session ended with something of a shock as a jet shot right over Copernicus, leaving two black streaks across the face of the Moon for a couple of seconds!

The Moon always delights, and now the evening meal beckons!

Doug.

Great reports people. Nice to know other lunatics were out last night! 

Mars did show more than I have seen recently too. Still just hints of light and dark rather than definite features (withnmy set up anyway). 

I had a good Lunar session with the binoviewers and 120 equinox on skytee II - I agree about the ease of set up with slo mo controls when viewing Luna. Seeing was good and the surface was pin sharp, just like flying over it in a jet! Copernicus was the centrepiece for me last night but also like the keyhole shaped fauth just to the south of Copernicus. Montes Carpatus also were shogun get nice relief. I used the sky at night moon map that was recently in the mag and it was really good. That, coupled with the 21st century atlas makes lunar observing really interesting. clavius looked quite spectacular last night as well. I also spent a bit of time around Fra Mauro thinking about the Apollo 14 landing.  Many other small craters identified and next time the lighting is favourable in going to look for hortensius domes. Packed up after about an hour.

Later on around 11pm I decided to go out again but with the binoculars for grab and go ease. Did the Steve Tonkin sky at night mag binocular tour with the Apollo 15x70's. It was based around Orion which by this time was simply spectacular. Meissa cluster was the start, then collinder 65. Always nice to see the 37 cluster NGC 2169, then of course M42 and NGC 1981.  Finished on a few familiar clusters M35,36,37 and 38.

Overall a satisfying evening of Astro sights that will go a long way towards keeping the Astro appetite well fed.

Steve 

cloudsweeper:

The brief session ended with something of a shock as a jet shot right over Copernicus, leaving two black streaks across the face of the Moon for a couple of seconds!

Trikeflyer:

Seeing was good and the surface was pin sharp, just like flying over it in a jet! Copernicus was the centrepiece for me last night.

So that was you then!  ?

(Nice session/report BTW, Trikeflyer!)

Doug.

8 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

cloudsweeper:

Trikeflyer:

Seeing was good and the surface was pin sharp, just like flying over it in a jet! Copernicus was the centrepiece for me last night.

So that was you then!  ?

(Nice session/report BTW, Trikeflyer!)

Doug.

Thanks Doug.  Ha ha ? Sorry if I shocked you as I flew over Copernicus. Seriously though, My eyes felt like I was that close with the Binoviewers.

steve 

Archived