Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_peoples_choice_2018_banner.thumb.jpg.f1bf2f8261e1689d19f116486df2bc89.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
beka

Dew Shield Contrast Improvement

Hi All,

The area I live has a fair amount of ambient light from street lighting, neighbors window, porch lights and so on. Just wanted to ask those who have used a dew shield with a CPC 1100 or other SCT - can use of a dew shield significantly improve visual contrast on planets and DSOs? I rarely have had problems with dew though.

Thanks!

Wait till you get in a solid sized field with the right conditions before being sure about not having a problem with dew :)

Edited by Astro_Baby
Typo
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By alanjgreen
      1. DEW SHIELD
      I've completed a pair of dew shields for my 16x70 binos. I used a 10mm thickness Mountain Warehouse camping mat paired to some 50mm Valcro with additional strong glue to keep them stuck together.
      For the first one, I used the full 50mm overlap on the Velcro to hold the ends together but they were quite hard to pull apart. So, for the second one, I used 50mm on one side of the Velcro and cut-down to 25mm on the other side of the Velcro.

Time will tell which is the best solution, then I can make up a "third one" to be the same as the best of the other two - if needed!

2. FILTER HOLDERS
      My APM binos have 20mm of eye relief so I hope to make some filter holders from some of this matting.
      I have some spare old 2" Skywatcher UHC and O3 filters in the loft, so I plan to experiment to see if I can construct something from the camping mat to fit them over the eyepieces of the binos.
      After removing the rubber eyecups, I am left with a 2" diameter eyepiece which matches the circumference of these 2" filters.
      So, I am making a 40mm wide & 210mm long camping mat "roll" that will fit exactly around the eyepiece. The ends wont overlap, they should just meet up and i will wrap the whole thing with Gorilla Tape to hold it "in a circle". This circle should then just push down over the eyepiece to hold the filters in place.
      I will use some folded over gorilla tape segments to make a "rim" that the filter will "sit on" ( at a distance of 10mm from the top ) when pushed inside.
      As the 2" filter is way more than the 30mm of the bino eyepiece lens, then as long as I dont block the central 30mm of the filter, the view should be unobstructed.
      The glue is setting at the moment, if successful then I will post up some pics... (Blue Peter would be proud!)
      Alan
    • By beka
      Hi All,
      I wanted to ask if anyone has the experience of using a GSO Crayford or similar focuser or on a CPC 1100, and if a counterweight was needed to balance the OTA. I want to use it with a DSLR as well as 2" diagonal.
      Cheers
    • By umasscrew39
      I just setup my CPC 1100 Edge HD scope with the Celestron heavy duty wedge and I want to do AP.  The tripod is on a JMI wheeler bar and I put vibration pads under the wheels.  The setup is on my deck on top of the main bean as I do not have a good spot on solid ground.  The scope is a little shakier than without the wedge but not horrible.  So, based on others experience:

1.  Will this work for both short and long exposure AP or do I need a eq mount?  Or, does that not matter since I can only use it on my deck and not solid ground?

2.  By chance, has anyone used this setup with Starsense to align?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

Bruce 
    • By Knighty2112
      Now the colder and damper nights are closing in I've found that I need to wipe off dew on my Celestron StarPointer pro finder quite often as it is pretty exposed to the elements normally (see third photo below), so I set about making a home made dew shield with some foam sheet (£1), and some Velcro (£2.50) to hold it in place. The results are below, which whilst not maybe a work of art does the job of keeping dew off the finder, and allows access to the controls on it still too. Total cost £3.50

• By Twiggles
      Just picked up some rubber matting in Aldi, 61cm wide by 137cm long and about 2mm thick. Nice and black so hoping it'll make a decent material for a dew shield, cost is a tenner if anyone else wants to take a look.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.