Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_peoples_choice_2018_banner.thumb.jpg.f1bf2f8261e1689d19f116486df2bc89.jpg

Pig

Clear skies forecast tonight

I have almost forgotten what it is like to get my scope out due to this recent poor weather ....... but not to fear, clear skies are forecast tonight in Northampton.... hooray 🔭

• Like 5

I hope you get them...  The only forecast I trust is to look out of the window!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pig said:

I have almost forgotten what it is like to get my scope out due to this recent poor weather ....... but not to fear, clear skies are forecast tonight in Northampton.... hooray 🔭

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh you'll put the mockers on it :grin:

Dave

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

But let's not forget the bright Moon as well 😖

Peter

Ha filter to the rescue 

• Like 2

Yes clear skies tonight. I'm in Northamptonshire too. 

🔭😁

• Like 1

I will go with Gina’s method, it’s hazy here despite the forecast map showing ☀️ 

• Like 1

It's lovely and clear here. Tonight will be the time to see how well my qhy183c does with a ha filter. 

Not much else to do with a big moon about and I can't waste a clear night, apart from clusters etc. 

• Like 1

I'll probably be out mooning & not much else until the pier gets installed.....

UoNI0Vv.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

As the Moon is looking clearish I have taken a punt and set the scope up ..... 😀

A mix of cloudy and clear spells forecast here in Cornwall, after a week of virtually unbroken low cloud.

My plan is to have an early (ish) night, and then to get up before 5am for Comet Machholz-Fujikawa-Iwamoto and Venus.

Regards, Mike.

• Like 1

Very crisp moon shots, lovely termination too 😀

It’s getting a bit scabby now🤔 time for some coffee 

It turned out a bit disappointing for me, after promising conditions at the start.

I set up my 8" SCT and piggybacked 80mm refractor at about 5 am, but failed to see Comet Machholz-Fujikawa-Iwamoto in either 'scope before low clouds came in from the East. For the second time I did get a few frames of the comet with the DSLR and 80mm, but without even having seen it - which I find frustrating!

As for Venus, I got a brief look at its big, slender crescent through cloud, but the cloud thickened before I could image it as planned. So it was back to bed by 7am.

I hope to try again tomorrow - before work!

Regards, Mike.

• Confused 1

Started out ok for me. Managed an hour each of R and G before a meridian flip. Then had issues with PHD as I think the mount has a teetering problem when aimed high. Managed an hour of B anyway and halfway through L I got a bank of fog at 3am!

• Like 1

I packed the scope up around midnight as the seeing deteriorated. I continued with meteor spotting for a few more hours but didn’t really see many. The skies did clear up again later but I was too tired to get the scope back out 😀

32 minutes ago, mcrowle said:

It turned out a bit disappointing for me, after promising conditions at the start.

I set up my 8" SCT and piggybacked 80mm refractor at about 5 am, but failed to see Comet Machholz-Fujikawa-Iwamoto in either 'scope before low clouds came in from the East. For the second time I did get a few frames of the comet with the DSLR and 80mm, but without even having seen it - which I find frustrating!

As for Venus, I got a brief look at its big, slender crescent through cloud, but the cloud thickened before I could image it as planned. So it was back to bed by 7am.

I hope to try again tomorrow - before work!

Regards, Mike.

I stayed up until 2.30am imaging then got up again at 4.30am to try for Machholz out the bedroom window, took a few shots of the area but no sign of it on the image,  just too much murk low down so back to bed and not bothered to get up until 9.00pm :grin:

Nice view of Venus and hopefully another chance tonight, only saw one meteorite as spent most of the time staring at the laptop screen.

Can you post a pic of Machholz ?

Dave

• Like 1

I stayed up until 4.15 and did narrowband until the Moon set. 

Need another night on same targets though.

Nice to get a completely clear night though.

Carole 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Can you post a pic of Machholz ?

Yes, I've just processed the 4 x 1 minute frames. The result below is slightly underwhelming, to be honest :). I've cropped it a little.

Still not sure why I couldn't actually see the comet through either 'scope, but it was very low and the sky was becoming increasingly cloudy.

Best regards, Mike.

Machholz-Fujikawa-Iwamoto c.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mcrowle said:

The result below is slightly underwhelming, to be honest

Looks pretty much the norm for recent comets, hopefully 46P Wirtanen will put on a better show.

Dave

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Looks pretty much the norm for recent comets, hopefully 46P Wirtanen will put on a better show.

Thanks, yes I plan to have a crack at 46P once the Moon wanes, always weather-permitting of course :)

Regards, Mike.