Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_christmas_presents.thumb.jpg.587637e0d01baf4b6d21b73610610bbb.jpg

Astrofriend

Lisbon Astronomy Observatory

Once again we travel South in Europe, this time we visit Lisbon. Never been in Portugal earlier so this travel was really exiting. Lot of old culture to see and tasty foods. Maybe a bit higher cost than expected but still cheaper compare to  Sweden where I live.

This time it was not only I and my girlfriend, we had also brought with us a friend. All three of us are interested in astronomy.

When I know we should visit Lisbon I started to search for some astronomy related. I found that there is an old observatory just 6 km from where we stayed. They also had guided tours, but should be booked at least two weeks before visit. This was a last minute travel and not enough time left.

Here is my mini report from Lisbon Astronomy Observatory:
http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/observatory-sites/lisbon-astronomical-observatory/lisbon-astronomical-observatory.html

It didn't worked out as expected, but you at least have the information if you visit Lisbon in the future.

/Lars

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By ACross
      I have a steel pier for sale. This was purchased along with a pulsar dome and believe it is an older Pulsar model. The pier sat in a yard, exposed to the elements for a few years before I purchased it so there is some surface rust and flaking paint but will clean up nicely.  £250 and buyer will need to collect from Suffolk. 

• By Swoop1
      I am putting this in Astro Lounge as opposed to DIY Observatories because, well, I probably won't be doing it (all) myself.......
      I stuck my neck out at my societies AGM and raised the prospect of having our own observatory. Arguments against were expense, lots of folk have their own dome, location and security.
      Arguments for included outreach, lots of folk want but can't have their own observatory, skills progression.
      I was tasked with a feasabilty/ cost study before we decide whether to approach organisations for either funding assistance or permission to site an obsy on their ground.
      To kick start the costing side of the study, I need to asses what is required (outside of a plot of land for the obsy).
      My first thoughts are:-
      Shell. I am thinking sustainable so a substantial wooden structure including a dome and warm room. 'Flatpack' with DIY assembly would reduce financial impact. Perhaps increase the warm room size into something large enough to become our meeting hall?
      Power. Mains would be best but, would a solar panel/ battery combo suffice?
      Pier. This would be one of the DIY part of the project and I am thinking a reinforced concrete pier with mount fixings to suit the desired mount though a steel pier is a possibility.
      Water/ Drainage. As a society obsy, with outreach use a goal, somewhere to produce refreshing beverages (and to download the later result) may be desired. Mains and sewer or mains water and septic tank?

What have I missed?
      Thanks
      Matt
    • By Owmuchonomy
      My better half and I are taking the tin snail to a campsite near Argeles Gazoste in the Pyrenees in June.  I note that there is a mountain top obsy; Pic du Midi in that region.  The website is in French and I wondered if it is possible to do a 'enthusiastic amateur' type visit.  I wonder if anybody has visited and can give me an idea of what is on offer?  Many thanks.
    • By Astrofriend
      I and my girlfriend has come home from a one week travel at Malta, a small island in the Medeterranien Sea. About a mount before we go I came in contact with an amateur astronomer down there, Maurice. He invited me and my girfriend to visit him and his DIY built observatory.
      The observatory is built on top of his house and it has a real dome.
      If you find it interesting to read about it I have done a small report from our visit at the Malta observatory with photos:
      http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/observatory-sites/malta-maurice-observatory/malta-maurice-observatory.html
      The Raven and the Owl observatory, Malta.
      After this visit it's hard to understand why we stay in Sweden where we live, when it's dark it's also very cold. We often have from -20 degrees to 0 degrees Celcius temperatures. Now adays we don't have many clear nights either.
      /Lars

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.