Lidl EP Case

Relpet

Yesterday I bought a tool box from Lidl in Dorking for about £23.  It looked as if it would serve well as an EP case and here's the result.  I hope this might be of interest to any one else looking for a reasonably-priced case.  No lock, key or  combination  - but who needs to be fiddling with locks in the dead of night in the middle of a damp field?

Lidl EP box closed.JPG

Lidl EP box open.JPG

Could be a handy replacement for the ones that Maplin used to do which I think were about the same price, though I only ever bought mine when they were on sale.

Roughly what size are the squares in the pluck foam?

James

6 hours ago, domstar said:

I'm struggling to get my head around this. You bought it YESTERDAY and you already have your eyepieces in it? That would take me at least six months. That looks excellent and nice looking eyepieces too.

One of the advantages of retirement is the time you have to do the things you enjoy.  One of the disadvantages is the speed at which the sands of time are running out.  Do it today: you may not have a tomorrow!

5 hours ago, JamesF said:

Roughly what size are the squares in the pluck foam?

1.5cm square,  6cm deep.  There is a fixed underlay.  This is a Lidl special, usually only in stock for seven days and there is a notice implying stocks will not be replaced once sold.

2 minutes ago, Relpet said:

1.5cm square,  6cm deep.  There is a fixed underlay.  This is a Lidl special, usually only in stock for seven days and there is a notice implying stocks will not be replaced once sold.

That's not too bad.  I prefer the ones with the smaller squares.  Some seem to be far larger.

James

2 hours ago, Juicy6 said:

Thinking of all the strange surplus items Lidl sell besides food, I would not have been too surprised to find this case WITH EP-s in!

Christer, Sweden

That will be the day!!!

13 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Looks like a nice case. Great value too.

I've had my Maplin's Flight Case for years. If anyone is serious about their eyepieces then it makes sense to protect them as much as possible.

It got its first outing tonight.  So much better than fiddling around with cardboard boxes.  One of my best investments so far.

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 16:26, Relpet said:

Yesterday I bought a tool box from Lidl in Dorking for about £23.  It looked as if it would serve well as an EP case and here's the result.  I hope this might be of interest to any one else looking for a reasonably-priced case.  No lock, key or  combination  - but who needs to be fiddling with locks in the dead of night in the middle of a damp field?

Hi Relpet

Obtained one similar from my local Lidl in Sheffield for £22.99, as my eyepiece collection has expanded that much that I now need a second case. However mine is all silver, the catches are slightly different, and did come with a lock and keys, but it didn't come with any foam insets.

Did yours come with foam insets, if not where did you obtain them from and how much did they cost.

John

Eyepiece Case 1.JPG

Eyepiece Case 2.JPG

10 hours ago, johnturley said:

"Did yours come with foam insets, if not where did you obtain them from and how much did they cost."

That's why I bought the black one, John.  It had the inserts.  As usual in Lidl previous potential purchasers had opened the wrappings so you could see inside.

This company might be able to help:

https://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/cubmax23h105-cpc/cubed-foam-grey-235x180x30mm/dp/SG33540?mckv=sPoHYB01j_dc|pcrid|224699680447|kword||match||plid||slid||product|SG33540|pgrid|49812616027|ptaid|pla-399482536484|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-SHOPPING&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs5jajY3k3gIVipTtCh36PgCYEAQYBSABEgJWbPD_BwE

but there are probably plenty of other suppliers.

Good luck

Peter

11 hours ago, Relpet said:

Hi Peter

Thanks for the information

They only had the silver ones at the Sheffield Lidl store that I went to, and they were wrapped up in film, so I couldn't tell whether there wre any foam insets with them.

John

Archived