SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Moon river

domstar

A lovely bit of Lunar observation last night on a crystal clear night, which presented more questions than answers. Mons Hadley is a favourite at half illumination because of the Apollo 15 landings but there were some spectacular visual delights that surpassed it. Firstly, the shadows on Montes Apenninus were of just the right angle to make them look frighteningly jagged and I really like the crater Conon. I find it fascinating to see a mountain range with a seemingly perfect circular crater sitting on top of it. 

Again, the shadows were just right to make the floor of Ptolemeaus uneven and dirty looking. Rima Hyginus was a clean line but the most interesting object of the night was Rima Triesnecker. According to virtual moon atlas it's of exceptional interest and visible in a 300mm reflector. It was right around the limits of averted vision but gradually I could see more and more. I enjoyed the challenge but sometimes I feel that stargazing is like a game of 'can you see it' rather than appreciating a wonderful thing. It's not a bad thing but it's strange how much my perceptions of this hobby have changed since I started. 'Can you see it/ split it/ resolve it' has become a bigger part of it as the wow of the concept of the objects has levelled off over time.

So the question is- Is it possible to see Rima Triesnecker in a 4 inch refractor? I'm clear in the only mind that matters but virtual moon atlas disagrees (it states Rima Hyginus as a minimum 200mm reflector object and it was staring me in the face, so it's not infallible).However, I would feel better if any 4 inch lunatics could confirm they've done it too.

The second question is- I've been reluctant to try the Lunar 100 because I didn't want to stay up late and view the waning moon. Last night it occurred to me that I might be able to catch everything (eyes permitting) on the waxing phase. Is this true?

Clear skies

Dominic

I thought I remembered seeing the Treisnecker rille with my 4" Tak at some point, and found this report which seems to confirm it. The contrast in a decent refractor can really help show these fine features; I have caught the rille running down the Alpine Valley with it too on a good night, so it is always worth trying.

Thanks for that Stu. That's all the confirmation I need (and some useful advice on planetary nebulae too- it would've saved me some anguish wondering if that was really the Cat's Eye a couple of weeks ago- confirmed too)

Archived