SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Best Canon camera on a budget

jimwaltman

Gearing up to do imaging.   Wasted money mod'ing a Sony A330.  After researching,  was not satisfied that i could find camera control software that i need.

I give up!!!!   I would like to buy the best (middle of the road) Canon.  Do I have to have it mod'ed?  I have already purchased all of the other equipment and software that i will need as far as i know.   Anxious to begin.   

Thanks for any reply, as i am terribly dissapointed that i made a mistake in judgement.  Anxious await any suggestions.

Hi Jim, well the original Canon 1000D, or the more recent version the 1300d (T6) is a great DSLR (I have had both) and fully supported by the likes of APT and SGP.  Spending a bit more gets a 200D, (SL2), much more sensitive and flippy touch screen.

Of course you can always use the sony with an intervalometer (this is a good one) while thinking about it..

cheers

Mike

Thanks mike......   tried to link to "this" for the sony intervalometer but could not.   Do you have a brand name i could google?

Will look at the canons.  several other blocks on software that sony doesnt see to measure up on.  Thinking of not modding it unless i see a real need for it.

7 hours ago, jimwaltman said:

I have already purchased all of the other equipment and software that i will need as far as i know. 

It would be interesting to know what you wish to image and what equipment has been purchased - might help with camera advice.

2 hours ago, Adam J said:

450D or a 550D dependent on budget.

Fully agree on the Canon 550D (T2i) (never owned the 450) if you can find one lightly used. Had mine for seven years and 500,000 clicks with no trouble, it is supported by all the software you need, and they are now dirt cheap. I've upgraded to the 750D (T6i) for astrophotos, but still own and use the 550 for everything else.

17 minutes ago, jimwaltman said:

After looking,  i purchased the canon 80d.   

I am still looking for a robust intervalometer for my Sony A330.

Thanks for your replies.   This is the best forum.

Good choice, the 80D is very good for AP.

Alan

Hi Vacuum, I have  a Sony a390 which, although is a good camera for every day use you need something on the lines of a Sony A6000. You can purchase an in camera intervalometer for time lapse photography. You can also buy

adapters to fit on telescopes for much more enlargement. I am just about to set up ready for tonight viewing, which I haven't done for a while. I'll try and send a photo to you

Regards

On 16/11/2018 at 20:11, jimwaltman said:

Do you have a brand name i could google?

Sorry Jim, missed your question, and the link doesnt work for me either now :(

i was pointing at a Pixel TW-283 S2 Remote Shutter Release Control Cable for Sony Camera on Amazon UK, but im sure you will find it

Mike

PS: that 80D is super sensitive (almost twice the QE of the 450D), so should work really well!

Archived