sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

Hello you wonderful people,sorry i have not been on here much lately,busy life and terrible cold/flu, i am considering purchasing a Barlow lense, and i would very much appreciate your thoughts and input, as a total newbie, i dont know very much, i know i want to get a 1,25 x2 barlow, but is it ok to buy a generic or should i buy a brand name and spend a little more, does it matter what i buy.

I have seen them ranging from £6.00 upwards i was thinking of getting the celestron for about £25.

Anyway thank you very much for taking the time to read and comment, best regards Dave.

In general you are always better off investing a little extra £$€ in buying good quality. In the best case you know that you can count on good quality on your side (if the view is ugly then you can know that it is almost certainly not the fault of that specific piece of equipment). If it does not work for you, you can always sell a good piece of equipment for a good fraction of new price. That will not be possible with a cheap thing. I understand you are in a budget so perhaps you want to monitor what's going on in the second hand market. Perhaps you can add a post in the "wanted" forum for a good quality, reasonably priced barlow. Good luck.

don't buy anything new for £6, it'll be junk. £25 might be a little cheap as well. It'll work, but maybe not well. Others may have them and be in a position to compare against more expensive ones. nothing worse than looking through a bad piece of glass.

• Thanks 1

Thank you  Star Forming & Brown Dwarf, very much appreciate your thoughts and thank you so much for replying, yeah i was never going to buy the £6.00 just i noticed  on eBay they start from that price, also does a short Barlow make any difference  ?.

Many thanks Dave

There is currently an Antares Astro barlow for sale in the second hand section on this site for £15. They aren't the most high spec brand but still decent enough to give one a try at that price in my opinion. 

i only used a barlow for a short time before realising I didn't like spending so long faffing about with it and preferred to just use different focal length eyepieces instead. Whatever you do, don't spend big money on one until you've tried one for a while anf you know you like them. 

• Thanks 1

If the £6 eBay barlow is the same as the one sold by FLO as "astro essentials" then it is in fact very good optically. 

For a specific recommendation I would consider the Explore Scientific focal extender or Televue Powermate as these alter the light path in a different manner. 

I also prefer to use a barlow to produce my high power options rather than to use one to produce a load of intermediate steps between existing eyepieces. 

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Jimtheslim said:

There is currently an Antares Astro barlow for sale in the second hand section on this site for £15. They aren't the most high spec brand but still decent enough to give one a try at that price in my opinion. 

i only used a barlow for a short time before realising I didn't like spending so long faffing about with it and preferred to just use different focal length eyepieces instead. Whatever you do, don't spend big money on one until you've tried one for a while anf you know you like them. 

6 hours ago, Ricochet said:

If the £6 eBay barlow is the same as the one sold by FLO as "astro essentials" then it is in fact very good optically. 

For a specific recommendation I would consider the Explore Scientific focal extender or Televue Powermate as these alter the light path in a different manner. 

I also prefer to use a barlow to produce my high power options rather than to use one to produce a load of intermediate steps between existing eyepieces. 

thanks guys very much appreciated, best wishes dave.

8 hours ago, Jimtheslim said:

I have enquired about the Antares 2x Barlow , many thanks Jimtheslim

best regards

Dave

Edited by ukuleledaveey

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By thepainpastor
      Greetings All!
      Very Short Explanation: I'm disabled (43) and desperately trying to find ways to still bond/spend time with my youngest son (13).

My son expressed an interest, about two months ago, in Astronomy after watching a few YouTube videos on the subject (specifically, the moon and our neighboring planets). He asked if one day we could get a telescope. I was somewhat surprised when, over the course of the following days/weeks, he didn't forget about his request or shift his attention to other, "more 13 year old pressing matters." In fact, he became increasingly MORE excited, despite our lack of progress on the subject (except for many hours of questions and research regarding all things space).
      So, I decided that somehow, someway, I would discover the means in which to make this dream of his a reality.  However, due to our financial situation, I wasn't sure it would ever happen. Well, lo and behold, I stumbled across a Vivitar 76700 Reflecting Telescope, while killing time before a drs appt, at the local Goodwill, for only $14.99. I immediately withdrew my "Emergency $20" from my wallet, and I purchased it! 
      When I finally arrived home, I began the process of putting it together. Unfortunately, I soon discovered that it lacked everything which is placed in the "lens hole/slot" on the top, back of the telescope (just a hole, no lens, barrel, or anything originally included to fill said hole.
      !!!EDIT/CORRECTION!!!: It DOES have the piece which screws onto the side of the telescope that has "adjustor knobs" below it for, I'm assuming, extending/retracting the lens(?). There is just nothing INSIDE this piece except a hole/space. Sorry! 
      This is our youngest son (13), who is a "loner." He is very quiet/shy/lacks self-confidence, and suffers from mental/learning disabilities, but truly is "sharp as a tack" in many, many ways. So, when we discover something, anything, educationally speaking, that peaks his interest, we try our hardest to encourage him! 
      Now, I don't really have any/much money to spend on getting this telescope in complete working order (I am NOT asking or soliciting for ANYTHING!!) , but I refuse to pass up this chance to bond with him, encourage this budding passion for Astronomy, and help get him OFF that blasted PlayBoxCube more frequently, and into something more beneficial for his young, developing mind!
      Now to my question(s)...
      What further (inexpensive) equipment would suffice in completing his new-to-us telescope, and increase his allure to the wonders awaiting his discovery in the heavens above? Quality vs Price? Trade-offs? On-topic/slightly off-specific-topic advice?
      Links, articles, groups, periodicals, videos...ANY suggestions gratefully welcomed!
      Thank you, in advance, for indulging my attempted-to-be-brief background/relevant personal info, and for taking the time to help this guy be a (better) dad again. I feel blessed to have found this particular site/group.
      Live Long & Prosper,
      -Larry 

• By CosmicRayResearcher
      Hello! I am new here and have a kinda weird question for you guys.

I am a cosmic ray researcher with the Pierre Auger Observatory and I am building a UV laser system to calibrate some of our telescopes.

To do this, we need:
      Self levelling powered steering AZ mount that hit point to the Zenith with high accuracy (most important) and also point to any zenith/azimuth angle we may need. It would be great if it worked well with Linux Battery power is a plus but we will have 24V DC available for the laser already so it is not critical Can handle a payload which is ~10kg and 40cm long Is less than 1000€ before tax Is there any really reliable option that meets this criteria?

The mount we are currently looking at is the iOptitron AZ Pro but this is just past the 1000€ mark we want to hit.

I am really new at this sort of thing so any advice you have would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks
    • By Lewis2020
      Hey everyone !
      Hope your all doing as well as you can be with this pandemic ! Im completely new to this stuff, im looking for some advice on the right telescope kit to buy. I dont want to be spending too much cause like im new and wanting to try it out, just hoping you guys have got some suggestions for telescopes for the value.
      Mainly wanting to look at stars (my stepdad passed away 3 weeks ago and my partner bought a "name a star" for him and would love to see it properly) and im interested in see the planets like the rings and stuff too
      Any help would be very appreciated ! 
      Possibly below £100 the cheaper the better at the minute but dont want it to be so cheap and tacky that i can only see the end of the garden through it lol
      Stay safe everyonr
    • By Powdergnome86
      Looking at local classifieds and found a 10" dob for sale. Half the RRP, apparently bought only a few weeks ago, the owner cleaned the mirrors and collimated the scope but found it to big for general use.... Why does this feel a little odd? 
    • By Trusty_Pigeon
      Good evening,
      I've been looking at purchasing my first telescope for most of 2020 after spending numerous full moons upon the Ridgeway in Oxfordshire.
      With some significant lifestyle changes I'm finding myself finally able to fund my first purchase!
      The problem I'm facing is transportation, mainly. I either ride a motorbike or bicycle out into the woodlands with my DSLR for sunset shots but want to appreciate that great luminous rock that much more (main focus moon viewing and eventually moon photography).
      I've been eyeing up the Bresser Messier NT-130/1000 specifically, but wanted to get some sage advice first.
      I have a reasonable system for transporting my tripod and camera securely, but is there anything to be conscious of with a new scope?
      I've set myself a loose budget of £500~
      Would anyone recommend I look at alternate starting scopes, or would the 130/1000 be ideal?
      Thanks in advance,
      Pigeon

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.