SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Do you need a 17.4mm if you have a 14mm?

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

The AWM did of course!

About 4 years ago I bought a 'scope for 140 quid and thought that was it.

Then Aperture Fever kicked in, followed by Eyepiece Envy, and then the Astro-Want Monster came and took up residence in the shed he forced me to buy.

Help me, anyone - please!!  ?

Doug.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Sorry Doug, but once the AWM strikes you are destined to full spaces and empty pockets. 

But why he?

Just a generic pronoun, but if it was she, Mrs Sweeper might be asking questions about a feminine presence in the astroshed I guess!  ?

Doug.

3 minutes ago, Alan White said:

JOC I am so sorry I have taken this so far off topic

Would it be a regular SGL thread if it hadn't gone off topic?!

Someone once told me that once you give a thread to a forum it's no longer your responsibility or your thread.

9 hours ago, JOC said:

If you didn't have it would you want it?

As a set builder, yes!
Not only that, on those special or not so special nights, the more focal lengths available to you, the better the chance that at least one of them will provide the image you  so desire......... or not! 

It's the only reason I have a 3 & 12mm WO SPL,  just set building after buying their 6mm,  and the 3.2mm BST which works on the Moon but little else due to the high power.

You will always need 1 eyepiece in order to see the image, 2 would be better 3 makes me a set, and  for me,  a  set of 3 based around  the focal ratio would be the absolute minimum, anything else is a bonus, or OCD or what ever you want to call it.

I used all my eyepieces, three cases? but its a scramble in the dark , so now I'm narrowing my collection down, eventually keeping just the Starguiders, which of all the eyepieces I've come across in my signature block, none have been as comfortable to use on this scope. So where  I've always believed the more the merrier when it came to eyepieces, with age and experience and the  question, "do I want it, do I need it"  Ive narrowed things down a bit, but if other focal lengths appeared within Starguider range, I'd probably be the first to have them, no question! ?

Interesting topic, personally, I like this strategic combo: 24mm Pan; 19mm Pan: 13mm Nag; 9mm Nag (all these are parfocal) plus the 6mm WO SPL for planets, one of my targets is small to medium size clusters and you will recognise this in my choice of medium range ep's. 

Archived