Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Do I have a problem with my 1600mm pro (PROGRESS REPORT 2 )

simmo39

7 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Have you tried it in the day time/indoors on b&w video/still mode ?  That should work but if you can't get stable images below 5sec exp then maybe not in which case there's a camera fault

Hi, ni I havent tried that. The only thought on that is without some sort of lens I wont get on image to assess, I could try through the scope but its raining here at the moment. I have tried the video with lens cap on then off and i get what i thought i would see, dark screen then light. I have watched the histogram when light is there and it just jumps around although the light source is steady.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Laurin Dave said:

Maybe try the little lens that came with your asi120... May need a spacer 

Well I have been trying every whitch way but I cant seem to get it to focus with the little lens. What i did find though was the histergam was  a little steadier but still moving. not sure that proves anything but thanks for the idea.

54 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Just got home and looked at mechanical drawings ..  looks like you can't get it close enough by 3-4mm .. Next thought would be to put it and a spacer on the back of a guidescope 

Yep, thought about that but not really cool about adjusting my guide scope focus as I have had a game getting set for my guide camera ( syn guider. I know but i find it works foe me ).

On 05/12/2018 at 11:57, simmo39 said:

Hi, ni I havent tried that. The only thought on that is without some sort of lens I wont get on image to assess, I could try through the scope but its raining here at the moment. I have tried the video with lens cap on then off and i get what i thought i would see, dark screen then light. I have watched the histogram when light is there and it just jumps around although the light source is steady.

take a piece of Aluminium foil and place if over the end of your imaging train, poke a hole in it with a pin. You will be surprised with what you end up with.  

3 hours ago, Adam J said:

take a piece of Aluminium foil and place if over the end of your imaging train, poke a hole in it with a pin. You will be surprised with what you end up with.  

Ha, of course. pin hole camera. Should have thought of that myself as I was a camera tech in the RAF for a few years! At the moment Im outside with the scope battling winds and trying to do another test. so far I have deduced that my collimation wasnt that good ( spent Wednesday trying to sort it ) but will know tomorrow if the camera is any better.

Ok, another test and a step forward. Still got issues with the collimation and did longer exposure with the flats ( 20 sec at 16000 ADU ) overall think I may be going in the right direction. I still have some internal reflections from somewhere but that may go altogether if I can get a good collimation. Any more tips would be welcome but thank you to everyone who has guided me through this problem. At times I have felt like throwing the whole rig at the wall!

45318204835_e1dcfc6871_b.jpg

Archived