Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Help please

Best eyepiece for saturn PS127eq

27 minutes ago, Help please said:

I need help i want to see Saturn clearly with my POWERSEEKER 127EQ TELESCOPE.

An 8mm is probably going to provide about as much magnification as that scope can provide. Unfortunately, previous reports suggest that it is best suited for low power viewing. 

Unfortunately, that scope is a Bird-Jones (Jones-Bird?) design with an integrated 2x barlow/corrector.  This design as implemented doesn't generally do very well at high powers.  A much better option than spending big bucks on high end planetary eyepieces for it would be to get a good condition, used, 6" or 8" Dob.  The difference in detail, contrast, and clarity will be very noticeable.

• Like 3

Welcome.

I had the same telescope, it was my first( bought second hand) but  turned out not the best for my needs, although it gave me my first real view of the Moon.

I struggled to see Jupiter  clearly with it, and after a thorough rebuild, clean, and better eyepieces, it was still no better visually? 

Most often mainly down to the poor seeing conditions but also the limitation that this scope imposes, and for just visual observation, there's a lot of faffing around with locks and controls in order  to view the next target. 

I would imagine under pristine skies, its possible to see the planets, but don't go wild buying expensive eyepieces thinking it will make this scope any better, it won't. If you find the right eyepiece, one that allows you to see your object more comfortably, with respect to the field of view and eye relief, the scope itself will still limit what you'll see.

If you still have the two supplied eyepieces, try the 25mm eyepiece with Barlow, although the supplied Barlow was I believe, x3, which is still too much. A x2 Barlow would work better on the 25mm, just to see how  (give an idea ) a  12mm would view the target, but 8mm is about as  short a focal length that the scope can handle without degrading performance even further.

Trial and error for now, but if/when you look through another scope, hopefully my thoughts and reasoning  here will may make more sense once the difference has been discovered. For me there's no comparison between what I had to what I have now.

Like I said, good for the moon, once correctly setup and orientated, and works ok overland during the day, but ...............I'll stop now!

Edited by Charic
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Charic said:

Louis D was quicker than me, I could have saved some text here? 

I wish there was a way to put out a PSA (Public Service Announcement) to warn new telescope buyers away from Jones-Bird design telescopes.  To misquote Nancy Reagan, "Just say NO to Jones-Bird type telescopes!".

I thought this Amazon review of this telescope was a very interesting read.  The author describes how he had to completely rework the scope just to collimate it.

The best eyepiece might well be a new telescope (as noted above).

However, I note you pop the word 'clearly' into your OP - you might also find useful a look at this thread which might provide some idea of what 'clearly' could look like:

Even if you don't read all the text, scroll down and look at the pictures which are with a far more capable telescope than the one you have - it might be necessary to re-adjust what you think you should be able to see - it probably won't be the coloured images that may have been on the box the telescope was shipped in.

15 hours ago, Help please said:

Would a celestron astromaster 130eq be better. Than the powerseeker127eq.

Probably quite a bit better with a parabolic mirror and no corrector lens.  However, I would avoid the EQ mount, short focal ratio (f/5) and go with a long focal ratio (f/8), parabolic mirror 6" Dob instead if you want much improved planetary images.  The image will be steadier due to the more stable mount and you'll gain a 2" focuser so you can still get wide fields of view despite the longer focal length.  Something like the Sky-Watcher 6" f/8 Traditional Dobsonian Telescope for $285.  The longer focal ratio is also more gentle on eyepieces so you don't have to invest in high cost designs as much to get decent off-axis images.  The longer focal length also means you can achieve the same magnification with a longer focal length eyepiece that has better eye relief which mean greater viewing comfort.

2 hours ago, Help please said:

would the 10 inch sky watcher dobsonian be better than the 6 inch

Is it a better telescope?  Yes.

Is it better for you? That's more complicated.  It has way more light gathering ability,  so can see fainter objects,  but it is bigger and heavier and thus less mobile, so it depends on you. If possible try and see one IRL and make an informed decision about if it will be best for you. 

10 hours ago, Help please said:

would the 10 inch sky watcher dobsonian be better than the 6 inch

I have a 10'' SW collapsible dob, and my first weapon of choice for observing

Use a 17mm wide-angle eyepiece for Saturn and Jupiter.

Fitting a 2 X barlow, you will experience what you viewing moving a lot faster

When doing presentation for schools, scout/guide groups, find the dob quick and easy to set up, and use a laser pointer, to locate where want to view

Another little trick

The hard plastic cover, has a 2'' removable cap

Sticky tape some Baader viewing film underside of the cover, and can use for solar viewing

For AP use ED80 on EQ5 mount

John

Skywatcher 10 inch Dobson.jpg

5 hours ago, cletrac1922 said:

Sticky tape some Baader viewing film underside of the cover, and can use for solar viewing

Given that general purpose sticky tape tends to loosen over time and/or when heated I do not think that this solution sounds robust enough for a situation where a failure will result in instant blindness. I think there should also be some sort of mechanical clamp to prevent movement of the filter, as well as some method of protecting the filter from both sides when the tube cover is not on the telescope.