SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

shock, got a scope out

nightfisher

Its been a superb day today, very clear seeing, so set up the little opticstar on AZ4, of to a good start, quick look at the Luna surface, then mars, no detail to be seen, just missed Saturn

so back to Luna, nice crater detail but been so long i cant really remember the names of the craters, getting out of touch, then Queensbury weather took control and it went to 100% cloud

I had an early play with our 20" F3.5 Dob this evening from about 5pm until the clouds arrived at 6.30pm. Seeing not quite as steady as yesterday but Mars showed its pole cap and some vague markings at 295x. The Moon was looking good so for the first time I tried binoviewers on it, first attempt showed that they would not reach focus as was expected. Inserting a 2x Barlow didn't quite bring things to a focus, a narrower 2" to 1.25" adapter would do the trick. Surprisingly, just the Barlow lens screwed into the nosepiece of the binoviewers did result in a focus with a bit to spare. This is the first time I've tried binoviewers in a large Dob and the view did not disappoint, I look forward to further sessions with the Moon higher in the sky.     ? 

There might be life in the little Opticstar for you yet Jules. It was similar here. I was dog tired yesterday evening but given the promise of a beautiful afternoon and a really clear early moon I thought I couldn't miss out. But miss out I did, by 7pm zilch, skies totally obscured, windy and damp.

Archived