Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Cyprus

bobmay

Another newby, I'm a Brit living in Cyprus, came here to retire and sail in the Med. sold the boat now looking through a telescope at the stars I've been looking at for years from the boat. Excellent views in the middle of the Med. I attended a course at the Kition Observatory and Planetarium 'Read the Sky' now want to learn more. I have not found a club here but still looking, if anybody knows of one...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Bob

Welcome, I lived in Cyprus for three fantastic years (97-2000) in Ayois Nikalaos near Famagusta/ Ammochostos/ Gazimagusa (depending on which side of the border you are) , I wasn't into astrophotography at that time but do remember the regular clear skies so am slightly jealous, unfortunately I don't remember any astromomy clubs but I wasn't looking.

Welcome to SGL, I have learnt so much from this forum and the members are very friendly and helpful.

Martin

Welcome Bob.  I have some very happy memories of working in Cyprus (Limasol) in the mid-80s.  I expect the place has changed a bit......... but doubtless the weather (and skies) are still gorgeous!

Cheers,

Jon

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Do not be jealous of the weather, winter has arrived and I have not seen too much for a week, and it is cold at night.

Martin, I live in the South (The Republic of Cyprus) but we can cross over to the (TRNC) quite easily these days.

John, thanks for the link, I have attended a couple of star parties, I was the only one with a telescope, the rest were astrophotographers. They do not have a club as such.

Charic, no clubs on the bases, I actually live not for from Dhekelia Station now too small to be a Garrison.

Be your own club, as many of us are, and with the help and advice from the members here, what can go wrong!

I have a very popular club nearby, even know a couple of the chaps from a different workplace/background, but their H&S rules contained an order that seemed to prohibit me (anyone) being there alone? 

Its not the access to any building  or equipment that I required, as I can work and survive from my car,  its just that the site is so good (apparently) and its on private property.

Archived