Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Photographic Atlas Recommendations

Littleguy80

I’ve had E.E. Barnard’s “A Photographic Atlas of Selected Regions of the Milky Way” on my wish list for awhile. I gained an interest in dark nebula after seeing the Ink Spot Nebula and then Barnard’s E. This was the inspiration for wanting this book. I liked the idea of images that I could study to get an idea of what was there. Something to refer back to at the eyepiece to eek out more detail. 

I’m wondering if there is a more general photographic atlas that I could use for this purpose. Something that covers most of the sky. Does anyone have one that they could recommend or does Barnard’s classic atlas fit the bill?

Many thanks!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, GavStar said:

It’s not cheap Neil but I think the interstellarum deep sky guide is great

I remember this being mentioned a while back but hadn't realised it was now available, it looks good. Unfortunately I don't think I can sneak any more atlases onto my bookshelf!

The Ineterstellarum guide is excellent and I have this, for me it's miles above the other 5 I also own but it's not a photographic atlas as OP asked. I have not actually ever seen or heard of one. On the Inter book, I feel it is worth every penny of what I paid for the Desk Top version, 58 quid I think from Amazon. 

1 hour ago, alan potts said:

The Ineterstellarum guide is excellent and I have this, for me it's miles above the other 5 I also own but it's not a photographic atlas as OP asked. I have not actually ever seen or heard of one. On the Inter book, I feel it is worth every penny of what I paid for the Desk Top version, 58 quid I think from Amazon. 

Thanks Alan. Looks like I have my answer!

I have both of these as well as the Interstellarum Guide

The Cambridge Photographic Star Atlas https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1107013461/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_SIs7BbEK6XJG0

The Photographic Atlas of the Stars: The Whole Sky in 50 Plates and Maps https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0750306548/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_uKs7Bb6B87062

The photos and format are better in the Cambridge Atlas, however, the accompanying maps of the regions edge it in the second one...

You pays your money...

Or do as I did and elect not to make a choice and buy the lot !!

I'm another atlas addict.  I've got the Cambridge Photographic Star Atlas - nice book, but I don't tend to actively use it.

The photographic star atlas I grew up with was the "Field Guide to the Star and Planets" by Donald Menzel - an absolute classic, worth hunting down on the second hand book sites.

1 hour ago, Stargazer McCabe said:

I have both of these as well as the Interstellarum Guide

The Cambridge Photographic Star Atlas https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1107013461/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_SIs7BbEK6XJG0

The Photographic Atlas of the Stars: The Whole Sky in 50 Plates and Maps https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0750306548/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_uKs7Bb6B87062

The photos and format are better in the Cambridge Atlas, however, the accompanying maps of the regions edge it in the second one...

You pays your money...

Or do as I did and elect not to make a choice and buy the lot !!

Thanks Simon. You must have a lot of books then ? I have the second one. It’s a great book but the photos are all wide shots which doesn’t quite fit the bill. Will take a look at the Cambridge atlas :) 

50 minutes ago, r3i said:

I'm another atlas addict.  I've got the Cambridge Photographic Star Atlas - nice book, but I don't tend to actively use it.

The photographic star atlas I grew up with was the "Field Guide to the Star and Planets" by Donald Menzel - an absolute classic, worth hunting down on the second hand book sites.

Thank you. Will look that one up :) 

6 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Thanks Simon. You must have a lot of books then ? I have the second one. It’s a great book but the photos are all wide shots which doesn’t quite fit the bill. Will take a look at the Cambridge atlas :) 

The first doesn’t “go in any closer” to be fair. It is very similar to the one you have therefore. Overall quality of the photos is better to my eye. But no more detailed...

19 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

It’s the close up detailed pics (both photos and sketches) that I really like about the interstellarum deep sky guide. I find it great to flick through to 1) get ideas for new targets (loads of galaxies!) and 2) get to compare what I see at the eyepiece on specific DSOs vs what you can see from a dark site with a large dob.

Very useful for the visual observer in this regard since it gives a good feel for the eyepiece views - like an advanced ‘turn left at orion’

3 minutes ago, Stargazer McCabe said:

The first doesn’t “go in any closer” to be fair. It is very similar to the one you have therefore. Overall quality of the photos is better to my eye. But no more detailed...

Aaah ok. I think I’ll start with the Interstellarum guide and see if I still want something else after that. 

20 minutes ago, GavStar said:

It’s the close up detailed pics (both photos and sketches) that I really like about the interstellarum deep sky guide. I find it great to flick through to 1) get ideas for new targets (loads of galaxies!) and 2) get to compare what I see at the eyepiece on specific DSOs vs what you can see from a dark site with a large dob.

Very useful for the visual observer in this regard since it gives a good feel for the eyepiece views - like an advanced ‘turn left at orion’

Awesome. Ok, I’m sold on that then :) 

@Littleguy80 The Interstellarum Guide works as a stand alone. But if you have the Atlas it works to an even greater degree as the page references for the Atlas pages correspond directly in the Guide...

I've just ordered a copy of Dobek's Revised & Updated Version of Barnard's Photographic Atlas of Selected Regions... It should be with me next Wednesday, so I'll let you know how that compares to all the others if interested...

11 minutes ago, Stargazer McCabe said:

@Littleguy80 The Interstellarum Guide works as a stand alone. But if you have the Atlas it works to an even greater degree as the page references for the Atlas pages correspond directly in the Guide...

I've just ordered a copy of Dobek's Revised & Updated Version of Barnard's Photographic Atlas of Selected Regions... It should be with me next Wednesday, so I'll let you know how that compares to all the others if interested...

I do have the Atlas :) That's a nice touch with page numbers corresponding.

Cool. Will be very much interested to see what you think of it :)

18 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Awesome. Ok, I’m sold on that then :) 

Neil,

I can't remember a title but Fellow Mod Stu actually posted a number of picture from the Inter Atlas when it came out, this alone was enough for me to see the quality. As I said I have 5 in total and in my opinion they are not worth opening after this for content. The Inter falls down a little on outdoor useablitiy for me, in this case I tend to open one of the others. There is a Field version though this is very pricey (140 pounds area) and not as good as they say, people on site have had them fail in dew alone, though this was at the very start of the run.

Yes, I read some early reports citing some dew issues, but so far I haven't had any issues on dewy nights with my field edition.  One time I was worried that the pages might stick as it was quite wet - but it was perfectly fine after it dried out.

That new Interstellarum 'guide' does sound interesting! I don't think I've bought a single astro thing in well over a year, so maybe I could ask Santa for a Christmas present ;)

34 minutes ago, niallk said:

Yes, I read some early reports citing some dew issues, but so far I haven't had any issues on dewy nights with my field edition.  One time I was worried that the pages might stick as it was quite wet - but it was perfectly fine after it dried out.

That new Interstellarum 'guide' does sound interesting! I don't think I've bought a single astro thing in well over a year, so maybe I could ask Santa for a Christmas present ;)

It would make a lovely gift...IF you make it onto the nice list ;) 

I have several quality star atlases but now only ever use the Interstellarum. My Uranometria atlases now sit on a bookself and are never opened.

I thought I would not need another atlas until this guide became available. When @GavStarshowed the photo of the Cygnus page above I became very interested in buying a copy. So Neil I look forward to your opinion on the atlas and well done on the purchase.

I have both The Cambridge Photographic Star Atlas and A Photographic Atlas of Selected Regions of the Milky Way and love them both. The text data in the latter is more detailed but the photographs and charts of the former are just wonderful.

From a chart point of view, my Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas is to my mind the best out there - well done on your purchase!

Archived