SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

KStars INDI System Requirements

Andyb90

Hi everyone,

I'd like to try KSTARS with INDI, but I'm not sure where to start. Looking at the system requirements on the INDI website it says "It is highly recommended to run INDI in an embedded Linux computer". Can anyone explain what that means? Is it a specific type of hardware?

I have a Windows 8 laptop so was hoping maybe I could install Linux on it or would that not work? Do I need to get an "embedded single board computer"?

Andy.

Most people run the system on a Raspberry Pi, but I have found Pi's lack resources, and instead use Rock64 & RockPro64 devices, but there are now a great many small credit card sized devices that will run everything....

If your laptop has spare disk space, it may be possible to install a Linux version alongside windows, but you could try booting your laptop from a USB stick, with Linux already installed on it, to at least try it out. 

It may also be possible to run a virtual Linux PC on your laptop, running under windows, but I'm not sure if you can access all the connected hardware that way.

Hi,

I run Linux Ubuntu alongside my win 10 on a dual boot laptop, it works great, i then have an  rpi strapped to my mount with the brilliant Stellarmate OS installed, Stellarmate is an OS already set up with all the software you will need including Kstars and Ekos and full INdI, (produced by the guy who created Ekos) it costs $49, but worth it as all the work is already done for you, especially if you are new to Linux.

I then connect to that rpi from my Linux part of my laptop using the built in Stellarmate wireless hotspot, or you can use a direct network cable, then run Kstars and ekos from the laptop and the rpi is just the sever where all the devices are connected, it runs fantastically, and I would never go back to windows for astro use...

You can run the Kstars direct from the rpi but maybe be a tad slow, hence running the rpi as a server instead...

It really is easy to set up, I had never even seen Linux before and still found it quite easy, if you don’t want to pay out for Stellarmate then you just have to set up all the software yourself and install in an SD card.

Also Stellarmate is available as a full OS including the rpi and all I staled, for $149 but I think that is a bit much, when you can buy just the OS and an rpi for around £80...

Yoj can also get Kstars and ekos for windows and not bother with Linux at all, and use the rpi as the INdI server, that works well too...choices choices....

https://www.stellarmate.com/products/stellarmate-os.html

Hope that helps.. :)

Edited by LightBucket

1 hour ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Most people run the system on a Raspberry Pi, but I have found Pi's lack resources, and instead use Rock64 & RockPro64 devices, but there are now a great many small credit card sized devices that will run everything....

If your laptop has spare disk space, it may be possible to install a Linux version alongside windows, but you could try booting your laptop from a USB stick, with Linux already installed on it, to at least try it out. 

It may also be possible to run a virtual Linux PC on your laptop, running under windows, but I'm not sure if you can access all the connected hardware that way.

Do t need a virtual PC as could run Kstars and ekos from windows and not bother with Linux at all...

But a dual boot works great and easy to do, as long as you install window first, and then Ubuntu, you will then get a grub menu at boot and you can choose which OS to boot to, Grub menu is Linux version of Windows boot menu... :) but you probably knew all that as I know you use Linux... @Dr_Ju_ju :)

2 hours ago, Andyb90 said:

Hi everyone,

I'd like to try KSTARS with INDI, but I'm not sure where to start. Looking at the system requirements on the INDI website it says "It is highly recommended to run INDI in an embedded Linux computer". Can anyone explain what that means? Is it a specific type of hardware?

I have a Windows 8 laptop so was hoping maybe I could install Linux on it or would that not work? Do I need to get an "embedded single board computer"?

Andy.

You do t need the embedded single board PC, you can run the whole lot from a Linux laptop.. :) or even a windows laptop with an rpi as the server as I said earlier... 

1 hour ago, LightBucket said:

Hi,

I run Linux Ubuntu alongside my win 10 on a dual boot laptop, it works great, i then have an  rpi strapped to my mount with the brilliant Stellarmate OS installed, Stellarmate is an OS already set up with all the software you will need including Kstars and Ekos and full INdI, (produced by the guy who created Ekos) it costs $49, but worth it as all the work is already done for you, especially if you are new to Linux.

I then connect to that rpi from my Linux part of my laptop using the built in Stellarmate wireless hotspot, or you can use a direct network cable, then run Kstars and ekos from the laptop and the rpi is just the sever where all the devices are connected, it runs fantastically, and I would never go back to windows for astro use...

You can run the Kstars direct from the rpi but maybe be a tad slow, hence running the rpi as a server instead...

It really is easy to set up, I had never even seen Linux before and still found it quite easy, if you don’t want to pay out for Stellarmate then you just have to set up all the software yourself and install in an SD card.

Also Stellarmate is available as a full OS including the rpi and all I staled, for $149 but I think that is a bit much, when you can buy just the OS and an rpi for around £80...

Yoj can also get Kstars and ekos for windows and not bother with Linux at all, and use the rpi as the INdI server, that works well too...choices choices....

https://www.stellarmate.com/products/stellarmate-os.html

Hope that helps.. :)

I'm just installing Ubuntu alongside windows on the laptop at the moment.

Is it possible to run the KStars client and INDI server together on the laptop? Then remote onto it to monitor KStars. That's what I do with Windows. I don't mind having the laptop outside sat next to my rig.

Andy.

For your setup (as described), you could have Ubuntu running at the mount laptop, with Indi and Indi web manager (not strictly needed, but I find it easier) and then run Kstars (https://edu.kde.org/kstars/#download) on your normal indoors windows laptop.

Another way, this is the way I use it, is to have Indi, Indi Web, Kstars & XRDP running at the mount computer & use normal windows RDP to connect.

This keeps the system isolated from other computers, in case I need to do other work, or even control other rigs...

8 hours ago, Andyb90 said:

I'm just installing Ubuntu alongside windows on the laptop at the moment.

Is it possible to run the KStars client and INDI server together on the laptop? Then remote onto it to monitor KStars. That's what I do with Windows. I don't mind having the laptop outside sat next to my rig.

Andy.

Yes, you can run is all as a “local” set up, with Kstar, INdI on the laptop at the mount, and then either log onto that PC from another with teamviewer or suchlike, or just use the laptop at the mount on its own, just make sure you install Kstars full and INdI full, and set it to “local” in the Ekos set up screen which will come up on first start up... :)

Also if you are running as a dual boot, then after it re starts you will see the “grub” menu and Ubuntu will be at the top, so if you want windows you have to tab it down, I changed mine to put windows at the top using a bit of software for Linux called “grub customiser” it allows you to change the boot order...the reason being I use the laptop more with windows for everyday stuff....

1 hour ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

For your setup (as described), you could have Ubuntu running at the mount laptop, with Indi and Indi web manager (not strictly needed, but I find it easier) and then run Kstars (https://edu.kde.org/kstars/#download) on your normal indoors windows laptop.

Another way, this is the way I use it, is to have Indi, Indi Web, Kstars & XRDP running at the mount computer & use normal windows RDP to connect.

This keeps the system isolated from other computers, in case I need to do other work, or even control other rigs...

Ok, thanks will try the XRDP.

Andy.

24 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

just make sure you install Kstars full and INdI full, and set it to “local” in the Ekos set up screen which will come up on first start up...

I got the dual boot working and tried to install Indi and kstars using the below command from the indi website

sudo apt-get install indi-full kstars-bleeding

But got a couple of errors with indi. The errors referred to ssag and altaircam. So I wasn't sure if indi had installed or not. I ended up running this command instead

sudo apt-get install libindi1 indi-bin

This worked and I then ran kstars-bleeding command which also completed.

I think I have to install the drivers for my devices separately as I only have basic indi installed. Is that correct?

Andy.

A quick thing to try, assuming you've followed every step on https://www.indilib.org/download/ubuntu.html, is to re-run the full install, but with a 'fix' switch, i.e.

sudo apt-get --fix-missing install indi-full

note double minus sign before fix. This should repair everything. Which version of Ubuntu have you installed? as the latest 18.04.1 has some software missing that stops things running....

OK you have heard the good stuff "London side up" as my dear old mother would say. Now the other side.

1. The device drivers,on the whole, are not as "mature" on Indi as they are on Windows so perhaps find out "what Astro Kit works" first AND how well.

2. Using non mainstream Linux systems or boards can lead to many problems especially if you just want "plug and go" set up. Again join and read the Indi Forum.

3. Its not just a case of "install and forget software" as ,for the most part, Windows is.

4.  RPI is not powerful enough for CCD high frame rates,as stated above, but you can easily over come that and the RPI runs mount control,Filter,Focusing with ease. That's how Indi works.

So find out all the info and do test set ups to learn the Indi way.

Having said that there are a great many plus's for Indi - Flexibility,O/S independence and "all in one" approach (EKOS is akin to SGP IMO) probably are the best parts,IMHO/experience of Indi. Ascom and Windows lacks the first two points (they don't run natively on any other O/S)

So gone on try Indi out - you may like it! ?

Edited by stash_old

2 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

A quick thing to try, assuming you've followed every step on https://www.indilib.org/download/ubuntu.html, is to re-run the full install, but with a 'fix' switch, i.e.

sudo apt-get --fix-missing install indi-full

note double minus sign before fix. This should repair everything. Which version of Ubuntu have you installed? as the latest 18.04.1 has some software missing that stops things running....

Ok I'll try to re-run the full install with the fix switch. I installed the latest version of Ubuntu:

Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

37 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Unfortunately, that version, doesn't allow the running of things correctly, (it can be made to) but it would be easier for you to use 16.04, as everything has been written & tested with that version...

I dont think that is correct, all good here with 18.04.1..I never had to alter anything at all after install, just installed full Kstars and INdI, and all was good, also no need to load drivers seperatly as they will be included with INdI... :)

Edited by LightBucket

4 hours ago, Andyb90 said:

I got the dual boot working and tried to install Indi and kstars using the below command from the indi website

sudo apt-get install indi-full kstars-bleeding

But got a couple of errors with indi. The errors referred to ssag and altaircam. So I wasn't sure if indi had installed or not. I ended up running this command instead

sudo apt-get install libindi1 indi-bin

This worked and I then ran kstars-bleeding command which also completed.

I think I have to install the drivers for my devices separately as I only have basic indi installed. Is that correct?

Andy.

Maybe you will if you have not installed INdI full...

But can’t see what you couldn’t as I did with 18.04.1 no problem...there is an issue with the new INdI update from this morning, with the Altair cams, check out the lates post on the INdI forum...there is info there, I won’t uldate to that till sorted...I have the version of INdI 1.7.4 and all is good with that and no fixes needed...

1 hour ago, LightBucket said:

I dont think that is correct, all good here with 18.04.1..I never had to alter anything at all after install, just installed full Kstars and INdI, and all was good, also no need to load drivers seperatly as they will be included with INdI... :)

Julian is correct it DIDN'T work but like all things It has moved on so it appears it does now work - I like Julian tried it a while back and it didn't ?

2 hours ago, LightBucket said:

Maybe you will if you have not installed INdI full...

But can’t see what you couldn’t as I did with 18.04.1 no problem...there is an issue with the new INdI update from this morning, with the Altair cams, check out the lates post on the INdI forum...there is info there, I won’t uldate to that till sorted...I have the version of INdI 1.7.4 and all is good with that and no fixes needed...

Will try the fix, but if that doesn't work is there a command to uninstall indi and then a way to install 1.7.4?

Andy.

1 hour ago, stash_old said:

Julian is correct it DIDN'T work but like all things It has moved on so it appears it does now work - I like Julian tried it a while back and it didn't ?

Well I only installed 18.04.01 about three months ago and it worked perfectly then, but I guess the update was out before that so can’t comment on that..

9 minutes ago, Andyb90 said:

Will try the fix, but if that doesn't work is there a command to uninstall indi and then a way to install 1.7.4?

Andy.

Hmmmm, not sure about that, but Jasem is working on it now, so won’t be long before fixed, I would try again in the morning and I bet all will be good... :)

the problem is it won’t be in the full INdI until the next update, so you will have to use the INdI nightly build, as they are updated almost every day.. 

16 hours ago, LightBucket said:

Hmmmm, not sure about that, but Jasem is working on it now, so won’t be long before fixed, I would try again in the morning and I bet all will be good... :)

the problem is it won’t be in the full INdI until the next update, so you will have to use the INdI nightly build, as they are updated almost every day.. 

Will hold off on the full install then and try the nightly build as it would be good to get the full version.

I've got KStars up and running and Ekos too. I'm using an asi1600 camera for imaging and asi290 for guiding. I have a zwo EFW too. So I installed the zwo indi driver. I also installed the eqmod driver for my heq5 pro mount.

Both cameras connected without any problems. I took some test exposures and could see the resulting images. EFW connection was fine too. Just need to check correct filter is being set.

Does anyone know if you can set camera gain for targets or sequence jobs?

I want to connect my mount next. I have a lynx astro eq dir cable. Should that work with the eqmod driver?

Also I added a new 'Home' location in KStars with the co-ordinates entered manually, but when I re-started KStars it had disappeared. Is there a way to permanently save this type of setting? Do I need to setup a config file?

Andy.

58 minutes ago, Andyb90 said:

I've got KStars up and running and Ekos too. I'm using an asi1600 camera for imaging and asi290 for guiding. I have a zwo EFW too. So I installed the zwo indi driver. I also installed the eqmod driver for my heq5 pro mount.

Both cameras connected without any problems. I took some test exposures and could see the resulting images. EFW connection was fine too. Just need to check correct filter is being set.

Does anyone know if you can set camera gain for targets or sequence jobs?

I want to connect my mount next. I have a lynx astro eq dir cable. Should that work with the eqmod driver?

Also I added a new 'Home' location in KStars with the co-ordinates entered manually, but when I re-started KStars it had disappeared. Is there a way to permanently save this type of setting? Do I need to setup a config file?

Andy.

Great...glad you got,it sorted...why did you have to load drivers individually as they all come with INdI..??

The EQ dir can,e will work fine...

As for location, if you put that in during the set up wizard it should remember.... certainly don’t need to set up a config file, never heard of that being needed.. :)

Edited by LightBucket

Glad to hear you have installed Indi set up but may I suggest you join (if you haven't already) post your questions on the Indi Forum - they dont bite ? and there are more people to answer your queries.

Location details can be entered either with the set up wizard or via the drop down menu coordinates in Kstars. I have done it both ways and it works - normally:-) 

• Like 1