Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Rodd

M31 HaLRGB

Recommended Posts

Thanks for going to all that effort Rodd, you are right I don't use Pixinsight and it was all gobbledegook to me.  However I have copied and posted your instructions into a folder on the off chance that i do give in and attempt Pixinsight in the future, which is also all gobbledegook to me.

Going to download your files and attempt to process them in Photoshop.

Carole 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, RichLD said:

That's lovely Rodd, you certainly continue to deliver! Great stuff ?

Thanks Rich

Rodd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, carastro said:

Thanks for going to all that effort Rodd, you are right I don't use Pixinsight and it was all gobbledegook to me.  However I have copied and posted your instructions into a folder on the off chance that i do give in and attempt Pixinsight in the future, which is also all gobbledegook to me.

Going to download your files and attempt to process them in Photoshop.

Carole 

? ---Good luck Carol.  Looking forward to seeing your efforts.

Rodd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Looking forward to seeing your efforts.

All the stacks seem to be over exposed in the core, maybe you can do something magic in Pixinsight like scaling I think it is called (saw Nik Szymanek demonstrate it at the weekend.   Not sure if this can be done in PS.

Carole 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, carastro said:

All the stacks seem to be over exposed in the core, maybe you can do something magic in Pixinsight like scaling I think it is called (saw Nik Szymanek demonstrate it at the weekend.   Not sure if this can be done in PS.

Carole 

Need to do a HDR composition--but that is a lot more work.  Just don't stretch them so much--The core shouldn't look overexposed upon RGB integration--at least with PIs STF auto stretch, it looks OK.  But I manually stretch and for this data yes, you have to be careful.  Attached is the initial RGB combine stretched using PIs STF tool.  The core is not blown out--still has slight color.

Rodd  EDIT--I like this better than my processed image.

RGB.thumb.jpg.51d51aa2e835bcf525290b5531ecceca.jpg

Edited by Rodd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very generous of you Rodd to post the data for us under the clouds! I have downloaded them and will have a go over the next days using PS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gorann said:

Very generous of you Rodd to post the data for us under the clouds! I have downloaded them and will have a go over the next days using PS.

Comme on Goran...I expected you to whip something up between posts!  very much looking forward to seeing your take on things.

Rodd

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rodd said:

Filled up my hard drive with the registration subs and calibration subs.  I really need to replace my external drive.

You may not be aware, but PI allows you to overwrite files during calibration and registration. I always keep the original, raw fits, but overwrite and purge all intermediate files. Otherwise you'd consume hard disk space at light speed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wimvb said:

You may not be aware, but PI allows you to overwrite files during calibration and registration. I always keep the original, raw fits, but overwrite and purge all intermediate files. Otherwise you'd consume hard disk space at light speed.

That's a very handy time. 

Cheers Wim :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rodd, I sincerely hope that you now have invested in an extra hard drive for backup! I have all my data (including all subs) duplicated on two external drives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rodd said:

All of my processing steps resulted in incremental degradation from an initial state of clarity.  I really need to learn how to process the darned data!

You've managed to reveal a lot of the faint outer regions of the main galaxy, as well as the bridge between M31 and NGC 205. Well done!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RolandKol said:

WOW! :)
I been waiting for your stacks, to experiment with HaRGB  as I never done it before :)
but reading this, -  just completely confused me :)
It sound more like a wizardry and witchcraft! :) but it produces a VERY nice result! :)

I will need to learn this "abracadabra" before I buy my LRGB filters! :)
Thanks for stacks!

 

 

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

How else to keep the Gremlins at bay? Seriously, it can be a bit overwhelming, and I always have to look at the cheat sheet to get the formula right.  In fact, I lost the cheat sheet recently and hope I got them right here!.  Fortunately,  There is a tutorial online.  Good luck!

Rodd

I believe that Kayron Mercieca has a tutorial about this. So has Vicent Peris.

Kayron's can be found at Lightvortexastronomy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, wimvb said:

You may not be aware, but PI allows you to overwrite files during calibration and registration. I always keep the original, raw fits, but overwrite and purge all intermediate files. Otherwise you'd consume hard disk space at light speed.

I did not know this--though I don't see much of a difference between over-writing and deleting.  As it is, I keep all my calibrated subs (after verifying that calibration was successful), and I delete the original raw subs.  I then delete the registered subs after integration.  It became necessary to do this when dealing with 500+ subs--especially if you use SFS to generate another list of usable subs.  And drizzle?  Fuget about it

Rodd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, gorann said:

Rodd, I sincerely hope that you now have invested in an extra hard drive for backup! I have all my data (including all subs) duplicated on two external drives.

Not yet.  Soon though.

Rodd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, wimvb said:

You've managed to reveal a lot of the faint outer regions of the main galaxy, as well as the bridge between M31 and NGC 205. Well done!!

Thanks, Wim....Its not that I hate it.  But the unprocessed RGB combine looks so real if a bit pale.   I can't help but feel that I am getting better at rendering higher-quality cartoons--but cartoons none the less.

Rodd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, wimvb said:

So has Vicent Peris.

I went to a week long PI training seminar taught by Vicent Peris--so I probably follow his method.  We did go over it in the seminar and that's where I got the cheat sheet.

Rodd

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Rodd for sharing your data.

 

Here is my feeble attempt at processing it in PI.

 

 

Rodds-M31data.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, wornish said:

Here is my feeble attempt at processing it in PI.

No so feeble at all!  Notch down the red and you have a winner!  (Not the Ha regions--they are ok--its the galaxy itself.  I was told it tends to the blue as opposed to red.  But it looks good

Rodd

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Rodd, many thanks for uploading the files.. Amazing quality.  Just had a very quick look and to me it looks like your DBE may have removed some of the outer galaxy..  Maybe put the un DBE'd files up, I think there's more in there. 

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Hi Rodd, many thanks for uploading the files.. Amazing quality.  Just had a very quick look and to me it looks like your DBE may have removed some of the outer galaxy..  Maybe put the un DBE'd files up, I think there's more in there. 

 

Dave

I don't know--the RGB combine looks pretty complete.  I don't have access to those files at present.  If you, and others, still feel that the DBE caused issues after you have a more complete look, suggest it again and when I get home I will up load them

Rodd

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent data, Rodd. I have no problems with the DBE'd files. Your image also shows a lot of the faint halo around M31. In L the core is a bit burnt out, so I made a synthetic L by averaging R, G and B. Then used HDR composition on the linear L images. I've never tried this before, so fingers crossed. There is also a very faint stacking edge that I cropped. Atm I'm doing deconvolution, which has to be done very carfully in order not to get divergence. But the L data now shows structure right down to the core, which I've never seen in an image before. ?????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Excellent data, Rodd. I have no problems with the DBE'd files. Your image also shows a lot of the faint halo around M31. In L the core is a bit burnt out, so I made a synthetic L by averaging R, G and B. Then used HDR composition on the linear L images. I've never tried this before, so fingers crossed. There is also a very faint stacking edge that I cropped. Atm I'm doing deconvolution, which has to be done very carfully in order not to get divergence. But the L data now shows structure right down to the core, which I've never seen in an image before. ?????

Well the need to crop is bad--I missed that and that probably affected the DBE a bit.  I forgot about deconvolution in linear state!!!!  Man--now I have to go back and try that.  thanks for reminding me.  I guess 60 sec

Roddjust a tad too long.  I just can seem to escape the massive black hole in the center of this galaxy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Version 1

A lot of careful processing, but I ended up experimenting. This would be a LHaRGB, I guess.

There will be a version 2 with better care taken to get rid of the blue halos around medium sized stars. Now they're just desaturated.

Image104.thumb.jpg.9e3c171e1e5c283a493029c08a78247c.jpg

(click for full size version)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wimvb said:

A lot of careful processing, but I ended up experimenting. This would be a LHaRGB, I guess.

There will be a version 2 with better care taken to get rid of the blue halos around medium sized stars. Now they're just desaturated.

I tried HDR compression on the Lum and RGB images as the tutorial suggests--but I did not like the way it compressed the core down to a point--which I see you employed.  Looks good.  maybe I should have taken it to the end that way--I see what you mean about structure to the core. But I bailed.  I like your background and stars--but the disc is a bit yellow.  I am in the middle of a reprocess.  I used deconvoluition in linear state and man--what a difference,  I like this data.  When zooming in on the LUM stack during deconvolution, or later on the RGB during Ha insertion, the details are pretty cool--faint and washed out when viewing at normal size--but clear as a bell when zoomed--a real sense of depth and spatial relationships.  The stars look really nice before processing as opposed to after (at least for mine).  I will post sometime tomorrow--but I am not going to rush it.

Rodd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.