Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

"Hello, Universe!"

AnotherJohnH

Hi All,

Another complete beginner here. Wow what a cool hobby, who'd have thought that another galaxy was visible from my back garden? Puts my neighbours, now even more annoying, Leylandii in perspective. But I guess the tree does block some of the light pollution.

No firm goals, but so far vey much enjoying...

• Just looking. AP looks fun, (and very expensive) but I need a hobby away from the keyboard and mouse.
  • Learning about the objects I've just seen.
  • The simplicity of a Newtonian reflector on a Dobsonian mount.
  • No electronics ... although as an electronic engineer, very tempted to instrument the dob mount with a micro-controller, so I know where it's pointed. I wonder why they don't print alt/azimuth scales on Dobsonian mounts?
  • Rubbish views of amazing astronomical objects. Struggling to find and then observe the actual photons from an object in space is surprisingly rewarding

JohnH

Hi and Welcome!

If you want to mess around, look up term "diy dob settings circles" on google - you will find plenty of ideas there (you can even try adding digital to query :D )

I believe that settings circles are not part of standard dob telescope package to be in line with the spirit of the mount and it's operation - no frills, just go out and observe.

Hi.

A dob and a binoc are the most straightforward observing tools. I might add a sky atlas and a dim red or orange (truer colors when reading the map) flashlight. Personally the battery and the diode in the torch are the only electronics I want when I stargaze but a dob that knows where it's pointing is convenient to be sure. I've handled the push-to scope in my club, that was cool. Still, knowing the star-hopping paths matters to me, so manual gear only for the time being.

Hi John

Welcome from land down under

Dob is still my first weapon of choice, and hoping on the weekend to get out the Solarmax, and view the prominences active at the moment on the sun, and a new sunspot, first we have had in almost 6 months

You can also use your dob for solar viewing

Hard plastic cover, there is a small removable cap

Sticky tape some Baader visual film on the underside with cap removed , and attached plastic cover to top of your dob

Leave off the spotting scope, unless have a solar filter fitted as well

Access URL Spaceweather, to get latest solar info

Also download APP Sun Now, which gives you the latest satellite pic of the sun

Attached link gives you an explanation of each image Sun Now

I mainly use only AIA 193 and AIA 304

http://www.sfaaa.com/our-site/the-sun-now

John

22 hours ago, Greymouser said:

Hello and welcome to possibly the best forum on the internet. If you have not already, I would suggest a book to buy:   https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/turn-left-at-orion-book.html

It is useful in helping to find your way around. ?

Thank you I will add that to my Christmas list ?

16 hours ago, cletrac1922 said:

You can also use your dob for solar viewing

Hard plastic cover, there is a small removable cap

Sticky tape some Baader visual film on the underside with cap removed , and attached plastic cover to top of your dob

Leave off the spotting scope, unless have a solar filter fitted as well

Access URL Spaceweather, to get latest solar info

Also download APP Sun Now, which gives you the latest satellite pic of the sun

Attached link gives you an explanation of each image Sun Now

I mainly use only AIA 193 and AIA 304

http://www.sfaaa.com/our-site/the-sun-now

Thanks John, that is certainly on my list to try. "leave off the spotting scope" ... good advice, easy to forget.

On 13/11/2018 at 22:18, AnotherJohnH said:

Hi All,

Another complete beginner here. Wow what a cool hobby, who'd have thought that another galaxy was visible from my back garden? Puts my neighbours, now even more annoying, Leylandii in perspective. But I guess the tree does block some of the light pollution.

No firm goals, but so far vey much enjoying...

• Just looking. AP looks fun, (and very expensive) but I need a hobby away from the keyboard and mouse.
  • Learning about the objects I've just seen.
  • The simplicity of a Newtonian reflector on a Dobsonian mount.
  • No electronics ... although as an electronic engineer, very tempted to instrument the dob mount with a micro-controller, so I know where it's pointed. I wonder why they don't print alt/azimuth scales on Dobsonian mounts?
  • Rubbish views of amazing astronomical objects. Struggling to find and then observe the actual photons from an object in space is surprisingly rewarding

JohnH

Welcome John

I've never had any desire to fit scales to the dob. Just seems a waste of time once you can spot the constellations and use a star chart. 

There are quite a few electronic systems out there Nexus, sky commander and Argo Navis to name a few.  

I'm guessing you're around the Sheffield area which isn't too far from wakefield and my local society if you need a little help or guidance. 

12 hours ago, mapstar said:

Welcome John

I've never had any desire to fit scales to the dob. Just seems a waste of time once you can spot the constellations and use a star chart. 

There are quite a few electronic systems out there Nexus, sky commander and Argo Navis to name a few.  

I'm guessing you're around the Sheffield area which isn't too far from wakefield and my local society if you need a little help or guidance. 

Yes, you'r right, learning the constellations is the way to go. Unfortunately Sheffield is quite a stretch for me, but thank you for the invite all the same.

Welcome from the Fens, John!

As a complete beginner, the Beginners forums on here are really useful.  I'm returning to the hobby after a very) long break, and the members are really helpful, esp in those beginners forums.

Cheers,

Jon

Archived