Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Recommended Posts

Are there any issues with leaving a refractor outdoors permanently? I plan on leaving the HEQ5 undercover on a pier but was wondering what else could be left outside safely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had my 12" SCT set up outside under a weather proof cover for well over a year and never had a problem.

IMG_5534.JPG.d28a2ce1c2ae25e13ea1a3104891abc6.jpg

Edited by paul mc c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Likewise I left a scope and mount out for a long period of time under a good cover with no issues. I checked it regularly and aired it every now and then, apart from normal use of course. I made sure I always dried it off after a long session and as said, no problems,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been thinking of doing the same, putting it under a good cover and then also have some puppy heat pads installed. Would also be interested to see what others have come up with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My kit - and as an astronomy provider there's a lot of it - lives in unheated observatories throughout the year - in the south of France, be it said, though at altitude. Would I leave my kit under a high quality cover, unheated, outside, in my environment at all times of year? No. And in GB? No. But if I put a very low wattage heater, like a pet warmer, under the cover then Yes, that changes everything.

Olly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although dismantled for moving my imaging rig (Two imaging scopes, cameras, filters etc) has lived under a Telegizmos 365 cover with a low power puppy pad to keep the dew away. The mount gets an occasional most of silicone water repellent spray.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Um... that should be *mist*

Stupid autocorrect.

Stupid again. Um, not I'm

Edited by DaveS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

My kit - and as an astronomy provider there's a lot of it - lives in unheated observatories throughout the year - in the south of France, be it said, though at altitude. Would I leave my kit under a high quality cover, unheated, outside, in my environment at all times of year? No. And in GB? No. But if I put a very low wattage heater, like a pet warmer, under the cover then Yes, that changes everything.

Olly

would you have the heater on all the time or on a timer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine's been outside, mount, OTA, camera, electronics and all for 8 years now.

As Olly said - the trick is the heated puppy pads. Mine are on a thermostatic controller.

And because I'm a geek - it's a thermostatic controller with built in GSM - so it can send me a text message if it loses power. And I can text it to see what the temperature is under the covers. But that's probably overkill.

As long as your security is OK - it's a good solution.

Cheers.

Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ian_bird said:

Mine's been outside, mount, OTA, camera, electronics and all for 8 years now.

As Olly said - the trick is the heated puppy pads. Mine are on a thermostatic controller.

And because I'm a geek - it's a thermostatic controller with built in GSM - so it can send me a text message if it loses power. And I can text it to see what the temperature is under the covers. But that's probably overkill.

As long as your security is OK - it's a good solution.

Cheers.

Ian

thats got me thinking, could install a short underfloor heating element in the concrete pour when i do the pier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

would you have the heater on all the time or on a timer?

In my case the weather's either damp or absolutely not damp at all (ie most of the time) so I'd do it manually. Given the trivial current draw I'd probably leave it on if in doubt, so to speak.

Olly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.