Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Synscan App Problem

bendiddley

I took my skywatcher star discovery WiFi mount out last night for the first time and having problems with Synscan App. For some reason after a short time the app stops responding when I go to move the mount with the arrow keys, everything else in the app responds but I can't use the arrow keys to move the mount. I got an error message at one point saying the was a communication error, but that's all it said. I can get the arrow keys working again by disconnecting from the wifi network and reconnecting again, but then I have to go through the alignment process again and then the same thing happens again. I tested the mount with my v4 synscan handset and it all works fine, so there is something up with the app but I'm not sure what. Has anyone else had this problem before or know how to fix it?

I'll have a look. Can't find a setting for this on my iphone but I do have the screen set to auto lock after 1 minute, wondering if this is having an effect. I'll try changing my settings to have autolock come on later and see if that works.

30 minutes ago, bendiddley said:

my iphone

So you are using what else - unless the newer version has got round the old problem (or Apple finally allowed true multi tasking) you will be using 2 devices - Iphone and ?  Unless you are only using the App - without Sky Safari ?

You say it happens when the mount is moved via the "arrow keys" but i think it might be a wifi problem as pressing these keys can generate a lot of "chatter" (hence the comms error clue!)

You might try altering the number of retries and/or time out length in the Synscan App settings but little be little and one thing at a time!  - which I assume exists on the Iphone version as it does on Android / Windows version

Are you using the latest version of the App ? The download site is poorly set out,IMHO, and does not show old and new versions just a version and date.

1 minute ago, stash_old said:

So you are using what else - unless the newer version has got round the old problem (or Apple finally allowed true multi tasking) you will be using 2 devices - Iphone and ? Unless you are only using the App - without Sky Safari ?

You say it happens when the mount is moved via the "arrow keys" but i think it might be a wifi problem as pressing these keys can generate a lot of "chatter" (hence the comms error clue!)

You might try altering the number of retries and/or time out length in the Synscan App settings but little be little and one thing at a time! - which I assume exists on the Iphone version as it does on Android / Windows version

Are you using the latest version of the App ? The download site is poorly set out,IMHO, and does not show old and new versions just a version and date.

It's OK I think I've fixed it. The autolock on my iphone was set to 1 minute and was disconnecting the wifi connection.

Guys. Thinking through what happened last night, I've just remembered that the phone was on the whole time when the loss of communication happened, I'd just aligned the scope and slewed to my first target and when I tried to adjust the position of the object in the eyepiece that's when the arrow keys were unresponsive, it hadn't gone into auto lock mode at the point as I had been using the phone the whole time. I'm going to have another play this evening (hopefully) and see what happens. I will let you know how it goes.

I had the exact same issue with iphone 8 plus but it's solvable as you now know. What pushed me to try app on Android was constant issue with 'down arrow' - it just didn't work properly most of the time. I sorted it by using Samsung A3. I have to say the app on Android is more responsive and 'better'. Samsung A3 no issues at all with 'arrows' and even when the phone locks it retains the connection and is ready to use when unlocked. What surprised me is how much Android got better over last few years. The last time I used Android device was v5 I think. v8 is on-par with iOS as far as I can see.

Archived