Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Vixen GP-DX clamp upgrade

Stu

I'd like to upgrade the original clamp on my GP-DX to ideally a Dual Vixen/Losmandy one. Not sure it is even possible, but would be interested to hear from anyone who has, and what options are out there.

Thanks!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did exactly what you plan to do , picked up altair dual saddle losmandy and shortend a vixen dovetail ,mated them together with short allen bolts , replaced the original saddle  knob with a m8 allen bolt,  and countersunk into the vixen saddle as a safe guard . the first pic shows the job done on the gpdx and the other a 9.25 sct and it holds this no problem.

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

Thanks Graham. I had actually been looking at similar solutions today but wasn't sure if they would clash with the standard locking knob. Your way makes alot of sense so I think I will go along these lines. Thanks for the post :)

Yes that M8 bolt does solve the saddle clashing issue, nice solution..

I've toyed with this upgrade, the standard (as far as i know) ADM for EQ5 doesn't fit, so my thoughts we similar to above, however i would like to not rely on a single M8 bolt to hold the cradle, I'd toyed with the idea of using the ADM vixen to losmandy adapter £108 from FLO and having my machine guy drill holes that corresponded with the fixings on my GP, then using oversize fixings to secure the entire thing, so the original GP fixing is then a "back up"..

No easy way or off the shelf upgrade that i could find..

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-vixen-type-v-series/adm-vixen-to-losmandy-adapter.html

Let us know how you get on Stu..

Ta

Fozzie

Thanks @Fozzie I'm struggling a little to follow what you were saying about oversize fixings etc, could you explain or do a quick sketch?

Yes, I had looked at the FLO ADM option and it looks good. There are other cheaper versions around but ADM quality is unquestionable. They are out of stock most places until the end of November I think.

Might look at TS and build something from one of their losmandy clamps and a Vixen dovetail, as long as I can get the holes to line up!

I will keep you posted on what I end up with.

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Thanks @Fozzie I'm struggling a little to follow what you were saying about oversize fixings etc, could you explain or do a quick sketch?

As graham has done really, but (for me anyway) the idea of using a saddle over a single holding bolt is added stability, so if I was going to upgrade to a saddle, I'd want more than the original bolt holding the vixen dove tail and saddle to the mount... seems the weakest point still, yes your not damaging the scopes dovetail but you can easily replace those, and the same issue is still there, if that fails everything still goes.

My thoughts were to utilise the holes/fixing points already on the mount, in order to secure the saddle.  Just like the ADM EQ5 upgrade kit, making the original single bolt redundant (so to Speak)..  Below is what I had "envisaged" would work..

1. Remove the existing top fixings on the GP mount (as circled)
  2. Buy a saddle and vixen Dovetail
  3. Fix saddle to Dovetail
  4. Drill through saddle and dovetail to match the exisiting fixings on the GP mount, counter sink these.
  5. Fit larger bots through the saddle and dovetail into the GP mount securing the entire assembly to the top of the mount.

I "assume this would be more stable, and as a secondary back up you could then use the M8 bolt option, through the original against the side of the dove tail.. 3 points of fixing, two physically tied to the mount and one contact at the side.

Im no sketch artist, but something like this..

20181114_134117.thumb.jpg.baf204063e139f22ea9ac349e8fe7535.jpg

Hope that shows what was in my minds eye.. It was just a thought I had a few moons ago..  Still interested in this upgrade the saddle I have on my skyteeII is a very nice secure but of kit.

Thanks
Steve

23 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Or....

https://www.admaccessories.com/product/dual-gpdx-dual-series-saddle-fits-celestron-vixen-gpdx-mounts/

Maybe @FLO could advise if this ADM is available and it fits the vixen GP/ GPDX..

Not sure why I've not seen it before?

Thanks for this fozzie, both for your drawings and the ADM saddle which I've never seen before. Let as hope FLO can get hold of the because I would definitely order one.

I like fozzie,s idea off replacing  the top bolts with longer ones, but iam not going to drill the altair saddle  but  countersink the longer bolts in to the vixen dove tail , allways willing to take in better ideas ( ie  when you've got expensive kit hanging on the back you don't want it  to come crashing down to the ground) here a pic off my fav on the gpdx stellarvue fluorite triplet

DSC_0031.JPG

belive it or not it was ready for the scrapyard when I got it, its a 102 achro circa 1990 ( someone  must have been using it as a baseball bat).the objective  and cell is all that's left off the original, I have restored it to its former glory along  with the  sp mount it came on the objective is really great for an achro its give me some off the best views off the moon  I have ever had.

On 14/11/2018 at 13:58, Fozzie said:

Or....

https://www.admaccessories.com/product/dual-gpdx-dual-series-saddle-fits-celestron-vixen-gpdx-mounts/

Maybe @FLO could advise if this ADM is available and it fits the vixen GP/ GPDX..

Not sure why I've not seen it before?

The FLO boys and girls don't mess around, just waiting for a confirmed lead time ??

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-replacement-saddles/adm_dual_saddle_gpdx.html

40 minutes ago, Stu said:

The FLO boys and girls don't mess around, just waiting for a confirmed lead time ??

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-replacement-saddles/adm_dual_saddle_gpdx.html

I'd noticed this yesterday, no hanging about from auntie @FLO.  Could be a good seller..

@Stu do you still have a GP mount or just the GPDX.. I don't think this saddle is compatible but it would be good to know? (If you make the upgrade that is!)

Ta

Fozzie

29 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

I'd noticed this yesterday, no hanging about from auntie @FLO.  Could be a good seller..

@Stu do you still have a GP mount or just the GPDX.. I don't think this saddle is compatible but it would be good to know? (If you make the upgrade that is!)

Ta

Fozzie

For my sins, I have both. The GP is lighter weight and just has dual axis tracking motors on it. I probably wouldn't upgrade it to Losmandy but can certainly check to see whether this upgrade will fit. 

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

For my sins, I have both. The GP is lighter weight and just has dual axis tracking motors on it. I probably wouldn't upgrade it to Losmandy but can certainly check to see whether this upgrade will fit. 

Is it sinful to have 2 great vixen mounts.. not in my world it's not!! Iv e just stripped the GP dec motor down, removing the top saddle.. I'm now classing it as optimistic that the ADM up grade will fit both.. but very confident my original idea would work too..

As I say would be good to know if the saddle suits both though!

Good work @Stu look forward to your installation reports lol..

Ta

Fozzie 

56 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Is it sinful to have 2 great vixen mounts.. not in my world it's not!! Iv e just stripped the GP dec motor down, removing the top saddle.. I'm now classing it as optimistic that the ADM up grade will fit both.. but very confident my original idea would work too..

As I say would be good to know if the saddle suits both though!

Good work @Stu look forward to your installation reports lol..

Ta

Fozzie 

Well, I actually have three because I have a Sphinx too! That really is sinful ;) can't decide which I would/should sell, so they all stay! My GP is excellent, the previous owner stripped and regressed it I think and it is very smooth.

Does that TS pick help for non Tak kit? What is the hole spacing, 35mm? That would be handy.

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Well, I actually have three because I have a Sphinx too! That really is sinful ;) can't decide which I would/should sell, so they all stay! My GP is excellent, the previous owner stripped and regressed it I think and it is very smooth.

Does that TS pick help for non Tak kit? What is the hole spacing, 35mm? That would be handy.

Struggling to find that TS puck anywhere at the moment.. looks ideal if it is suitable for non tak equipment.. I'll keep looking.. 

I was close to going for a gp-dx with goto.. should have done it in hindsight.. what's the sphinx aimed at, 10kg load?

2 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Struggling to find that TS puck anywhere at the moment.. looks ideal if it is suitable for non tak equipment.. I'll keep looking.. 

I was close to going for a gp-dx with goto.. should have done it in hindsight.. what's the sphinx aimed at, 10kg load?

Yes, I think it is. I was looking for a GP-DX for ages and bought the Sphinx before I found one. It's quite impressively light for something of that capacity, and needs fewer counterweights because the motors and electronics are designed to balance the scope weight. 

I had an Atlux with Skysensor 2000PC but sold it for an AZ-EQ6. I enjoyed the Skysensor so am glad to have one back again. Looking for a cable to connect it to my SkyFi unit. The Sphinx has the Starbook controller which is quite good, but I still prefer the Skysafari connectivity which i have been able to sort quite easily.

3 vixen mounts each.. positively shameful the pair of you!

I need to up my vixen game, maybe, I do have a case full of SLV's too, and only one scope, and two mounts already.. but... i'm sure there's a reason for more vixen...

33 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

3 vixen mounts each.. positively shameful the pair of you!

I need to up my vixen game, maybe, I do have a case full of SLV's too, and only one scope, and two mounts already.. but... i'm sure there's a reason for more vixen...

A reason for Vixen, why? ?
You are slacking on the scope front though Fozzie, only 1 really.....tsk....tsk....tsk!

Archived