Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

laser_jock99

Seasonal Witches Head Nebula

Another image from last week- The Witches Head Nebula IC2118 in Eridanus. Anyone who has tried to image this object will apreciate how tough it can be to aquire. Rather faint but very close to Rigel (7th brightest star in sky) the area is also awash with geostationary satelites that drift slowly across the field of view. My attempt shows a couple of these satelites. I have had to push the image processing hard just to show anything of the nebula.

IC2118 Eridanus 600s x7, 8" GSO F4 Newtonian (working at F2.9), Fuji IS Pro DSLR @ ISO1000, dark sky site in Mid Wales

44034674950_c4d153c89c_o.jpg

Edited by laser_jock99
  • Like 3

What algorithm are you using for stacking? Some more robust algorithm should be able to take care of the satellites. 

3 hours ago, john2y said:

What algorithm are you using for stacking? Some more robust algorithm should be able to take care of the satellites. 

Deep Sky Stacker- thought I had the Kappa Sigma clipping enabled.....maybe not.

2 hours ago, laser_jock99 said:

Deep Sky Stacker- thought I had the Kappa Sigma clipping enabled.....maybe not.

Try Median Kappa-Sigma clip, though it's noisier it should get rid of those satellites.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, john2y said:

Try Median Kappa-Sigma clip, though it's noisier it should get rid of those satellites.

Tried stacking again the geo stats are still there- maybe seven 10 minute subs is not enough. Were I to tackle this again- 20 five minute subs might be the way forward?

44954421655_bf1a73bd73_o.jpg

5 minutes ago, Pompey Monkey said:

That's super from Warwickshire - I had to go to La Palma to do mine! :)

Image was taken in Powys, Mid Wales. La Palma would be better- a bit low in the sky for the UK this one!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, laser_jock99 said:

Image was taken in Powys, Mid Wales. La Palma would be better- a bit low in the sky for the UK this one!

I'm near Portsmouth - I can just about see some of the outline in a 1 hour stack.... ;)  

To get this much from further north deserves an honorary medal for blind optimism... \o/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pompey Monkey said:

To get this much from further north deserves an honorary medal for blind optimism... \o/

I have the advatage of dark southern horizon in Powys- but really it's not that much lower than M42.

7 subs a bit too few for sigma capping to work, but if you wanted to upload the subs I could try a few of the different methods in PI