Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Norway! :)

anigakid

Hello everyone!

Just joined as an SGL member today. I live in Oslo, Norway (59N, 12E) and have been into stargazing since 2015/2016. As some of you know, the days are very long here in the summer and very short in the winter. :) However, winter nights can be very cold (can go as far down as -20C) and snow or ice can sometimes make observing quite difficult. So I try to make the best out of the nights where the weather is good enough and it is dark enough. It is also cloudy most of the times.

I have always been interested in Astronomy. I started stargazing is 2015 by just naked eye observations of the Moon and planets. I saw Jupiter in January 2015 and that's the main reason I got interested in stargazing. :) I realized that binoculars are a good tool for planetary observations and started observing the moons of Jupiter in 2016. It was a marvellous experience to see those moons for the first time! My parents got me a telescope last year, and have ever since done some observations of the moon and the brighter planets. It is quite hard to see fainter objects due to light pollution. I am usually only able to stargaze in the weekends as going to bed late during the weekdays is not a good idea when you have to go to school the next day. ? I am planning to start with some basic astrophotography and hope that this forum will help me in making good decisions.

My equipment: 8*40 binoculars, Celestron Inspire 80AZ and a DSLR which I hope to use for astrophotography in the future.

Excited to be a part of this community!

Sincierly,

Aniruddha (15 years old)

36 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

Hi! A warm welcome from a Dane almost your age(I'm 16) and with family in Oslo;-) Feel free to ask any question you'd want to!

Nice to meet you! Do you also experience problems like the planets being too low in the sky or the weather/daylight affecting your observations? We are just a few degrees apart in latitude :) I would love to hear if you have any solutions/workarounds to these issues to make your observations easier.

1 hour ago, anigakid said:

Nice to meet you! Do you also experience problems like the planets being too low in the sky or the weather/daylight affecting your observations? We are just a few degrees apart in latitude :) I would love to hear if you have any solutions/workarounds to these issues to make your observations easier.

Yes! Tell me about it:-( There really isn't a lot to do about it other than being patient waiting for moments of good seeing, however where you are observing can make a huge difference. Whether your are observing in a city over rooftops and roads emitting heat or on an open field over grass, water etc. the difference it made for me observing at home from Copenhagen or at my grandparents house in a small city was huge!

Hi Aniruddha,

welcome to the forum.  Sadly the planets are not in a good position for high latitudes at present but there are lots of other things to see, even in light polluted skies.

Enjoy the forum and look forward to your questions.

John

4 minutes ago, Space Oddities said:

Welcome to SGL! :)

I guess you need a lot of courage to do astronomy in Norway... and also a lot of patience, when the days are very long!

Yeah, that's true... :) The irritating thing is that there are nights when the weather is very good, but I can't do observations in the night as I have school the next day. Good weather in the weekends is quite rare...

18 minutes ago, FZ1 said:

Welcome!

There's lots of really useful advice and information in all the different sections of the forum, so its well worth browsing them on "school nights"!

That's true :) I see that this is a very active forum, so I guess it will be a really useful tool to help me plan my observations on those valuable cloudless weekend nights. :D 

I am excited to be a part of this community and look forward to being here!

Archived