Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

DanLXIX

EQ5 Mount Dec Drive Problem

So having not touched all my stuff for about 3 years I've been getting myself back into things slowly. I got myself fully set up last night but was having real problems with the mount. The dec drive will only drive one way, unless the mount is turned beyond 0 degrees. I've quickly made the video below to show what is happening. As you can see, clockwise is no problem, but it will not drive anti-clockwise unless it's turned beyond the point the drive is at the top. I remember having this issue years ago when I bought it, and RVO swapped the mount for me.

I'm hoping it's something daft I've done in setup, but for the life of me I can't see what is causing it.

Edited by DanLXIX

humm, yes. instant thought is something is loose (disengaging) somewhere. You will find it I'm sure. It really does feel like a clutch issue though.

Strange one, as said it looks like a problem with the clutch (odd that its only in one direction though) or the worm gear is loose at one end so only bites when its either pushing/pulling the gear wheel.

Alan

I would not be surprised if, instead of the clutch, it is the 'cup' holding the gear tight that is being loosened by the motor.

51 minutes ago, lenscap said:

Did you tighten the DEC clutch?

No, the clutch is loose.

6 minutes ago, DHEB said:

I would not be surprised if, instead of the clutch, it is the 'cup' holding the gear tight that is being loosened by the motor.

Actually, the clutch lever does creep 'on' a little bit, so this sounds possible!

Edited by DanLXIX
typo

47 minutes ago, DanLXIX said:

No, the clutch is loose.

The clutch needs to be tight to drive the axis.

(Sometimes a loosened clutch will give some drive just due to the weight of the lever.)

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, lenscap said:

The clutch needs to be tight to drive the axis.

(Sometimes a loosened clutch will give some drive just due to the weight of the lever.)

I shall go and double check that. I'll be happy if it's me being a numpty :D

Edited by DanLXIX
typo

You've got gravity assisting in one direction so even with a loose clutch it manages to turn whereas when it's trying to go uphill it won't drive with a loose clutch.

Well that was my numpty of the week moment. All working fine... with the clutch on ?

Still, I'm glad it was me and not the mount. Now I can try again!