SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQ5 Mount Dec Drive Problem

So having not touched all my stuff for about 3 years I've been getting myself back into things slowly. I got myself fully set up last night but was having real problems with the mount. The dec drive will only drive one way, unless the mount is turned beyond 0 degrees. I've quickly made the video below to show what is happening. As you can see, clockwise is no problem, but it will not drive anti-clockwise unless it's turned beyond the point the drive is at the top. I remember having this issue years ago when I bought it, and RVO swapped the mount for me.

I'm hoping it's something daft I've done in setup, but for the life of me I can't see what is causing it.

6 minutes ago, DHEB said:

I would not be surprised if, instead of the clutch, it is the 'cup' holding the gear tight that is being loosened by the motor.

Actually, the clutch lever does creep 'on' a little bit, so this sounds possible!

10 minutes ago, lenscap said:

The clutch needs to be tight to drive the axis.

(Sometimes a loosened clutch will give some drive just due to the weight of the lever.)

I shall go and double check that. I'll be happy if it's me being a numpty :D

Archived