Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants.thumb.jpg.0a6deb4bf0886533629e2bdc08293bc9.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Michaelo

Controlling EQ5 with computer

I want to control my telescope/EQ5 using my Laptop and something like Stellarium but my SynScan display is faulty and I can't find a replacement and I rather not pay €400 for a new one...

Is it possible to control the EQ5 using any other method/device?

I would consider building a control device if I could obtain the necessary technical information for interfacing to the EQ5...

Mike

400 Euros? Is that an error? In the UK you can buy a Synscan handset for around 100 UKP. Maybe even less from Astroboot.  You should be able to buy a complete Goto upgrade kit for 400 Euros?

The handset may be fixable - try reloading the firmware.

A number of options:

1. SynScan WiFi module. The dongle is plugged into the mount's handset socket and is controlled through the Windows Synscan App and Ascom driver. Two other pieces of software are also required, Stellariumscope and the Ascom Platform. Another planetarium programme called Carte du Ciel can also control the mount and needs the same software as Stellarium, except Stellariumscope, to give mount control.

2. EQMod and an EQDir dongle.. The method is a wired connection and requires the ascom platform and EQAscom. Stellarium will also require Stellariumscope.

3. S/H handset. Occasionally you can find secondhand handsets on AstroBoot

I followed this guide for my EQ5:

or you could just buy an EQDirect cable.

With these cables you plug into USB on your Laptop and into the RJ45 on your mount without the Handcontroller

Edited by Forunke

4 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

400 Euros? Is that an error? In the UK you can buy a Synscan handset for around 100 UKP. Maybe even less from Astroboot.  You should be able to buy a complete Goto upgrade kit for 400 Euros?

The handset may be fixable - try reloading the firmware.

Yep, that price was the upgrade kit... but I didn't notice as when I looked for a second hand unit some time ago best price was closer to €200 so I jumped to conclusions ;)

@Cornelius, thank for he information it proved valuable... I've heard mention but had no links to the info...

@Forunke, looks like the ticket and I have all the parts to hand ;)

Got a few of tiny ESP WiFi module, could make this wireless...

One quick question if you see this reply...  anyone know where I can get info on the handset, might look at changing the LCD for another type if I can get some info... thanks everyone.

Could have posted all three replies in one post but got ahead of myself sorry...

Edited by Michaelo