Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep2_banner.thumb.jpg.e37c929f88100393e885b7befec4c749.jpg

My first ever M31 !

For us in NZ this object is a real challenge as it never rises more than a few degrees above the horizon.

This is actually as high as it gets and I have included a wide field shot to demonstrate its position at the moment.

Coupled with fairly ordinary seeing I’m really rather proud of my first attempt.

It really tested my polar alignment and my excellent star adventurer Mount.

There is a nasty gradient and it’s a bit brown but apart from that I can see dust lane ! I’m still saving for pixinsight as I suspect there maybe more info in this image.

All comment and criticism is welcomed.

Cheers, Andy 

Canon 6d
75-300mm @ 300mm
Iso 4000
32X120 seconds ( 1 hour 4 minutes total integration)
15 darks
20flats
20 bias
Processed in photoshop and Lightroom

A90143AE-6D35-4182-957C-B300C5286842.thumb.jpeg.d83644bb7c46822cfba61e07f1651a83.jpegEAE3BBA2-79A0-4162-AE9E-35EEC76A2878.thumb.jpeg.1269ae5a704e9e9b8282d3b90acda43b.jpeg

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Scooot
      Taken with the 450D & baby Tak on the Star Adventurer. This is about 5.5 hours of 1.25 minute exposures over two nights, which is the longest I’ve ever managed to image. I just left the camera clicking until the battery ran out. Processed in Pixinsight with flats & bias but no darks. I usually find it very difficult to align the camera with the previous night’s, but this time I left the scope in the same position overnight & placed Merak in the bottom right hand corner which actually worked.  
    • By Lewtron_Stellae
      Hi All, 
      I wonder if someone can please help, I'm fairly new to astrophotography and confused about aperture. Basically I'm looking at a Canon EF-S 55-250mm lens. It has the specs
      f4-f5.6 does this mean that the lowest point of aperture possible is F5.6 or will it go lower. What I find confusing is that I have a lens that's the EF-S 18-55mm lens which has the specs of f/3.5/5.6 however My camera does allow me to set the aperture at f/8 The reason I ask cause it is advised to use a low aperture of f/8 to capture images of the moon.
      Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated!
    • By Ken Mitchell
      Hi all,
      For a long time I wanted to shoot this frame, probably from the early days of my astrophotography adventure.
      Finally after all these years I managed to get a decent result of the 'stuff' between these two beautiful nebulae. Fairly happy with the image but always looking for improvement.
      I hope one day to redo this all with a mono camera and filters. 
      Apart from NGC1499 , M45 and the Baby Eagle Nebula no idea what else is in the picture. If you happen to have an idea feel free to educate me.

Some info on image and capturing:
      Widefield Pleiades to California.
      Taken over 2 nights with a total of 11hrs 25min integration.  
      With a stock Nikon d610 and Nikkor 85mm 1.8 objective.
      Tracking was done with the Skywatcher Star Adventurer.
      Lights and all calibrations frames were stacked in DSS.
      Processing was done in Adobe Photoshop CC using Adobe Raw, GradientXterminator plugin, HLVG plugin, Nik software plugins and Photokemi action set.

Ken

• By Lancebloke
      So, although I had some issues with my auto guiding (which I found out afterwards) I did manage to get 9x180s exposures and 5 darks of Andromeda and give both stacking (using DSS) and processing (using GIMP).
      My first attempted DSO....

I am pretty sure that people could get far more information out of the TIFF file from the stack.
      Hopefully I will get another clear night soon. I am in a heavily light polluted area so I do have a clip in filter on my DSLR which I think took a lot away.
      More practise needed!
      Lance
    • By beka
      Hi All,
      Having had to move to an apartment where I could not use my CPC 1100, I decided that I have to see what I could do with my NexStar SLT 102 (alt-az achromatic 102mm f6.47 refractor). Setting up on my narrow balcony was challenging and the altitude bearing was so loose that it almost moved from the weight of the Canon 700D. I could not see M31 in the estimated 3.5 magnitude sky so I did a two star alignment and used the live-view to focus on a bright star. I then took a 15 second exposure after slewing to M31 which allowed me to see that I had it in the field of view. After a few more 15 second exposures and playing with the motion controls I managed to get it centered. The resulting picture is from 39 subs of 30 seconds at ISO 1600, 9 flats. The images were stacked and stretched with Siril and then I played with the curves on Gimp, cropped and scaled. Not too unhappy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.