Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Hi

I have never managed to image m31 well , so I had another go with my tak 106 and a sx 56 ccd camera- covers a lot of sky this set up but is very undersampled

so you get some odd shaped stars and even with a tak you can get reflections going on

As usual I really struggle with the colour on this object--- its my nemesis

Not perfect  but quite deep with the tail at one end

Will probably redo this when I have some Ha to add and recover my brain

the image consists of about 7 hrs of lum and 2hrs of each  RGB

High res version is here https://www.harrysastroshed.com/imagepages/Galaxypages/m31 2018.html

BTW forgive the reflection top right - I was a long way in before I noticed it :)  - next time

m31-1000.jpg

Edited by harry page
  • Like 19

Sorry, no offense, but why do many imagers take outrageously stunning images such as this insane M31, then criticize themselves silly? I call it the Da Vinci syndrome. Da Vinci took years to complete his masterpieces, leaving many unfinished, due to his never ending self criticism. 

Your image might as well be in the Louvre my friend.

8 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Sorry, no offense, but why do many imagers take outrageously stunning images such as this insane M31, then criticize themselves silly? I call it the Da Vinci syndrome. Da Vinci took years to complete his masterpieces, leaving many unfinished, due to his never ending self criticism. 

Your image might as well be in the Louvre my friend.

Hi

Its because when you start out you are grateful for anything that looks like a galaxy :)  then you try harder and harder and get more knowledge and more data and you want more and more

and you can see the errors in the image , strangely its what keeps me interested-always something new to learn

And yes never satisfied ?

Keep well

Harry 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, swag72 said:

I like that Harry...... and I cant be sure that is a reflection top right....... have you seen this? http://www.deepskycolors.com/archive/2017/01/01/Clouds-Of-Andromeda.html

Hi

Yes I can see some off that stuff in my Lum - but cant make anything off it

but the reflection top right is from a star reflecting off something ( of course do not know what :) )

as always thanks for your input

Harry

12 hours ago, harry page said:

Hi

As usual I really struggle with the colour on this object--- its my nemesis

Excellent example Harry - I like the colour especially.

Having followed your PI tutorials could you tell me what processes you used to achieve the gold? I'm struggling with M31 at the moment myself and haven't pulled out that sort of gold throughout the galaxy after LF, BN and  ColourCalibration.

Any tips would be really appreciated or I too might need a brain transplant lol

Again, great shot and the hi-res on your website was worth the visit ?

David

7 hours ago, ginandtonic said:

high res picture doesn't load...

Hi All fixed - Bit strange worked earlier ?

cheers Harry

11 hours ago, David_L said:

Excellent example Harry - I like the colour especially.

Having followed your PI tutorials could you tell me what processes you used to achieve the gold? I'm struggling with M31 at the moment myself and haven't pulled out that sort of gold throughout the galaxy after LF, BN and  ColourCalibration.

Any tips would be really appreciated or I too might need a brain transplant lol

Again, great shot and the hi-res on your website was worth the visit ?

David

Hi

I did the usual of doing DBE and then the Old CC as I could not get a decent result with the new PCC , I struggled to get any blue

The colour is always faint and needs a good saturation boost

But there are many versions , One by olly penrice has a lot more blue than mine

Harry

3 hours ago, Jedi2014 said:

Never seen a more three dimensional Andromeda galaxy before. Stunning...

Jens

Cheers

Harry

Great picture !

I find it fascinating, all those images of the same subject by different imagers, including myself, and we all have a slightly different result, it's like a reflexion of our own individuality, this means there's no right or wrong image only a different perception.

#end Vulcan-mode# ?

• Like 1