Narrowband

Photoshop and Pix problems!

So after 9 months of imaging I figured that if I stack my images in Photoshop I get a much cleaner image than DSS or PixInsight stacking.

There is only one problem tho I cant figure out! So if I take 10 images, stack in DSS with median method (for example) and I stack the same 10 images in Photoshop with median method too, the final images are very different when I open them in PixInsight.

What I mean by different is that I can pull out much more from the DSS image than from Photoshop image, but the DSS image is much much more noisy. If I open the DSS image And Photoshop image in Photoshop it is the same (I can pull much more from the DSS image but it is much noisier)

Ofc I am saving both as 32bit uncompressed tif file.

Under is the example of noise. (Left from DSS, right from Photoshop!)

received_1935121176570531.png

1 hour ago, serbiadarksky said:

Open the images as layers in photoshop, align them, convert to smart object and stack with median method.

Cool, thank you - nothing wrong with that, I was just checking that you were definitely getting a true stack to compare with.

OK, here is a quick preliminary process. I carried out the de-Bayering in MaxIm DL as that it my preferred software for this purpose. The colour images were then 'StarAligned' in PI , then 'ImageIntegrated' in PI and saved as a 16 bit TIFF. The TIFF was loaded into PhotoShop PS3 where I used 'Levels', 'Curves', 'AstroFlat' plug-in and 'Hasta La Vista Green (HLVG)' followed by further 'Levels' and 'Curves'.

Although there is more processing to do, you can see that the 10 subframes have stacked well in PI. My next experiment will be to carry out the colour conversion in PI so that the whole process before stretching in PS3 is carried out only in PI.

integration.thumb.png.c326679406790a753e652d928252742e.png

OK, for this experiment, I carried out the minimum amount of processing in PS3 so it is not such an attractive image! To start, I simply loaded your CR2 files into PI which automatically de-Bayered the images. I saved each one as an XISF file. The colour XISF images were then 'StarAligned' in PI , then 'ImageIntegrated' in PI and saved as a 16 bit TIFF. The TIFF was loaded into PhotoShop PS3 where I used only 'Levels' and nothing else. The first Levels adjustment was done while referencing the Histogram channels in PS3 and adjusting them until the histograms for the R, G and B overlaid one another accurately. The second levels adjustment simply stretched the data until I got the image below. I appreciate that I have made no attempt to correct the gradient or anything else for that matter but as you can see, the subframes have stacked to make a workable image without all the noise that you found.

I do not know why you cannot replicate this in your own workflow, I'm afraid but PI does appear to be doing what it should!

I hope that helps?

595599176_integrationAllPI.thumb.png.524866099a4f7c35f944673ab75a9be3.png

Archived