Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Brigadoon Astro Supplies Ltd......

Craney

On the back of two threads I have been reading recently.  One about a certain type of scope being very popular in the small ads at the moment and the other about a very rare fantastic beastie indeed,  I got to thinking about the gear that you never really see come up for sale second hand.

Either, 

1)  It is one of a kind.

2)  Eye wateringly expensive.

3)  Flawed and universally flagged up as a clanger ....<avoid>

4) or.... Just so good that owners fall in love with them and are not prepared to be separated.

I do scan the adverts more often than is healthy for my bank balance,  so I was wondering, which items should I not be expecting soon,  due to reason 4.

I'll start the ball rolling......   Celestron Edge HD  (8").......   once in a Blue Moon event to see one of them.......!!!

2 hours ago, Stu said:

......  Seben scopes have such a bad reputation that

Unless somebody suddenly jumps in to their defence ie.   " first scope when I was five years old and always had a soft spot for it " ........ we will take that as a category 3.

(p.s.    sounds like the only suitable soft spot would be a peat bog in the Welsh Mountains....)

You could add the Vixen Atlux 150ED to the 'rare beast' list. They do change hands every now and then, but there are only around 6 in the UK I think. I did have the pleasure of owning one for a while, very nice scope.

Pentax 105 SDHF and 125 SDP are rare beasts in the UK.

The 105 SDHF was fairly common in Asia: a few friends owned them when I lived in Singapore. I had a Pentax SDHF 75, but these are fairly common here. I only once got to see a 125SDP once: in the old Broadhurst, Clarkson & Fuller shop in Farringdon Road. I love Pentax scopes!

Oh yes.......   those once in a lifetime astro-bargains.....  a no-returns policy because the gear is just so good you never want to part from it...

but yes, you need to time your visit wisely, otherwise you'll be waiting a bit at reception..

Archived