Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice needed for buying binos

Amateur1985

Dear all,

I am considering to buy a pair of binoculars on top of my telescope Bresser 130/650 for serious DSO observing at home. I want to have an observing tool always wherever I go for holidays or dark sites - just to put them in the back pack and that's all. If needed, I have already a tripod or maybe I can buy a monopod if needed. I have been reading a lot about the advantages and disadvantages of the different size of the binos and I stopped at several models.

Olympus 10x50 DPS-1, FOV 6.5 degrees

Bresser Hunter 8-24x50, FOV 4.4 to 3.7 degrees

National Geographic 10 x 50 Porro Binoculars, FOV 5.5 (considerably cheaper than the Olympus and the Bresser despite they are produced by Bresser to my knowledge)

Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, FOV 4.4

Bresser 20x80 Special-Astro, FOV 3.6 (too big and heavy but still an option)

Normally I am inclined to the Olympus 10x50, the National Geographic (due to the huge wide FOV but not sure what kind of details they can show) or 15x70 (good FOV, better aperture and magnification thence more details, can be hand held for a quick observing session) and the to be hand held is preferable so I guess the Olympus would be the best despite the SkyMaster is pretty lucrative as well. Maybe I am missing something about the binos. 

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Cheers,

Bobby

I love my  Olympus 10x50s. Really sharp views at night and during the day.  Under dark skies the 50mm can really pick up a lot of light. Large clusters look great in them and they are perfect for sweeping around the milky way. A lot of DSOs can be picked up but mainly just as faint fuzzies.

As for the larger apertures, as you say, you will need a tripod for decent viewing and as you have a short refractor it probably wouldn't be too much bother transporting it - compared to a tripod and a pair of 20x80s. - although if you really wanted a larger pair - I have found the 20x80s to be fantastic.  I would still have mine if I didn't have an ST80..

depending on how much you want to pay but the nikon action ex 12x50 at  about £180 and  next to my helios apollo 22x85 bins my most used binoculars (the helios to big and heavy for backpack and need solid tripod ) the nikons give nice sharp bright images and the 12x50 have aspherical eye pieces which helps eliminate edge distortion

also give zoom bins a wide berth fov not that great and go out of colimation quite easilly

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0001EFIFW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.nikon.co.uk/en_GB/product/sport-optics/binoculars/action-ex/action-ex-12x50-cf

Thank you both of you. Indeed, my budget is not that big (around 100 euros) and as the main goal is the better portability I guess I will stuck with the 10x50 for occasional star gazing everywhere and using my telescope for more serious from my highly light polluted city :) 

Of the ones you mention, Olympus 10x50. No contest.

The Bresser is a zoom binocular. There is no such thing as a good zoom binocular. The end.

The NatGeo and the Skymaster are stopped down internally, to approx 42mm and 62mm effective aperture respectively. I've not seen the 20x80.

One other you should consider is tbe Opticron Adventurer 10x50 T WP. Just within your budget, better than the Oly IMO, and waterproof - a real bonus if your observing location is prone to dew. There's a review on my website (URL in sig) if you want more info. Opticron UK could probably advise you of a Belgian source.

1 hour ago, BinocularSky said:

Of the ones you mention, Olympus 10x50. No contest.

The Bresser is a zoom binocular. There is no such thing as a good zoom binocular. The end.

The NatGeo and the Skymaster are stopped down internally, to approx 42mm and 62mm effective aperture respectively. I've not seen the 20x80.

One other you should consider is tbe Opticron Adventurer 10x50 T WP. Just within your budget, better than the Oly IMO, and waterproof - a real bonus if your observing location is prone to dew. There's a review on my website (URL in sig) if you want more info. Opticron UK could probably advise you of a Belgian source.

Thanks a lot. I do enjoy your monthly newsletter and I guess I will be using it even more now with the new binos :)  Definitely will go for the Olympus because it is discounted to 66 euros but I guess I will be waiting for the Black Friday - maybe a better price would pop up :) 

Archived