Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

stevend

Exploring the Night Sky with Binoculars by Patrick Moore

I thought it appropriate to share this story. My wife and I recently visited friends in Mid Wales and they asked me to bring along my telescope. It happened to coincide with last month's full moon so not ideal. I noticed some good quality 10x binoculars on the side to which my friend said he has sometimes used them but did not know what to look for or where. A couple of days later we went with our wives to Hay on Wye and while perusing around a book shop I found an old, used hard copy of the above book for £5. Despite the temptation to keep it for myself, it was very well received as one of our parting gifts. I will quizz him next time. :)

• Like 3

Great story! I love the bookshops at Hay on Wye there seems to be a limitless supply of any title you can imagine! I hope the book gets your friend off to a good start in observing.

• Like 1

Nice one !   Lets hope you’ve started their love of astronomy.  The best sky I ever saw was from Madogs Wells in mid Wales back in 2002.  It had rained hard all day, then cleared to leave a stunningly clear and transparent sky...........

Ed.

It's a great little book. Mine very rapidly got "colour-coded" with each type of object being highlighted in different colours to help find them quickly.

The best sky I never saw, was when my wife and I travelled to France for 98 eclipse. My wife got up in the night to do,{well you know womans things). She beckoned me to come and have a look at the sky but I was tired from driving so stayed in our camp bed. I think maybe I will live to regret that moment. She said the sky was like Blackpool Illuminations and what a treat I missed. I think, as well, that there were 5 planets on view, doh.

I love that book! Bought many years ago. I have bigger, glossier, more comprehensive, more useful astronomy books - but this is the one I always come back to, because it conveys the passion and fascination for observing which Sir Patrick never lost. 

• Like 2