SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Exploring the Night Sky with Binoculars by Patrick Moore

I thought it appropriate to share this story. My wife and I recently visited friends in Mid Wales and they asked me to bring along my telescope. It happened to coincide with last month's full moon so not ideal. I noticed some good quality 10x binoculars on the side to which my friend said he has sometimes used them but did not know what to look for or where. A couple of days later we went with our wives to Hay on Wye and while perusing around a book shop I found an old, used hard copy of the above book for £5. Despite the temptation to keep it for myself, it was very well received as one of our parting gifts. I will quizz him next time. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Nice one !   Lets hope you’ve started their love of astronomy.  The best sky I ever saw was from Madogs Wells in mid Wales back in 2002.  It had rained hard all day, then cleared to leave a stunningly clear and transparent sky...........

Ed.

The best sky I never saw, was when my wife and I travelled to France for 98 eclipse. My wife got up in the night to do,{well you know womans things). She beckoned me to come and have a look at the sky but I was tired from driving so stayed in our camp bed. I think maybe I will live to regret that moment. She said the sky was like Blackpool Illuminations and what a treat I missed. I think, as well, that there were 5 planets on view, doh.

Archived