Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants.thumb.jpg.0a6deb4bf0886533629e2bdc08293bc9.jpg

So, having ummed and arghed for quite a while, I went ahead and purchased a Dobsonian. It's the 250PX FlexTube GOTO, so giving me the best of both worlds as it includes Freedom Find allowing me to look at and learn the sky manually.

I really really love this telescope, it's amazing.

Now, this took up most of my budget (ok, it took it all but what the girlfriend doesn't know cannot hurt her... hahahaha). But am wondering if anyone can recommend any accessories ?

I already have the eye pieces that came with the telescope plus a Hyperion Baader Mark IV Zoom with the Barlow, I have ordered a Light Shroud, a collimator, a Telrad and one of these power banks (recommended to me by someone in another forum that uses it) ......  https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00YP823NA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=mw-website-21&linkId=cc4954d254b7b8afe54f02cc96a47acd

Can any Dob owners or people with experience give me a little advice as to anything else? Perhaps a couple of filters (cannot by a massive range yet due to my partner killing me if/when she sees how much I have spent :) ) I would need, and a 32mm 2" eyepiece with a decent FOV (am told at my age, 51, that I need a decent FOV :) ) that isn't going to cost me a small fortune.

Anything else or any other advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Richard

• Like 2

Maybe an LP or contrast booster filter, but sometimes, unfiltered views are great.

My advice would be to spend money on fuel and a flask of hot drink, to take the scope to a dark site as this will give better results.

Also, learn how to collimate using a method that suits you.

• Like 3

Hi Richard,

My advice would be to just use the scope and get some observing under your belt. The Baader zoom is going to give you lots of options, and you will get some idea of what you enjoy the most time observing. :smiley:

There will be plenty of time as you go along to decide what else you need.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rhw1967 said:

I would need, and a 32mm 2" eyepiece

I have found, on my 250PX, the 32mm 1.25" Plossl, with a 52 degrees FOV works well, for initial alignment and searching for the faint fuzzies. My 56mm 2" Plossl gets occasional use, but the 32mm followed by the 8-24mm zoom (Baader or Celestron) is my usual sequence.

• Like 2

Hi Richard,

UHC filter maybe?  I have a similar scope to you, and the UHC filter helps me with various nebulae.

Also, I have experienced dew problems with the secondary mirror and Telrad.  However, when you start talking dew prevention, the budget soon starts becoming an issue, unless you are interested in DIY and don't mind having a go at making your own controller etc.  There are plenty of DIY threads on making them if you're willing to give it a go.

You don't mention any books that you might have bought, but I can recommend the Sky and Telescope Pocket Atlas.  It's a good atlas to have to hand.  It has a plastic covering on the pages and it pretty dew resilient.

Hope this helps 🙂

Tony

• Like 2

Hi Richard,

Whilst all above advice sounds good to me as a fellow newbie I would strongly reinforce the advice of @Jonk and @Saganite  to keep hold of your spare cash for a while, and enjoy what you have  and really think what you need. Maybe save up whilst you are enjoying your new scope. With the Zoom and barlow you have all you need for some great observing.

The danger is you get carried away and buy all sorts, I know, I did. And often after a while you either realise you didn't need some of the stuff or find something better, that was maybe a little more expensive and end up buying that at a later date and then selling stuff on. 

Also often you buy something new and then a month or two later somebody sell the same on this forum for much cheaper, so often waiting and see if you can get 2nd hand really helps with the budget.

Anyway enjoy and hope you have clear skies ahead (normal is to rain for two weeks when you get a new scope 😉)

Steve

• Like 4

Congrats on a great scope :headbang2:

I have the manual solid tube version. 

I think you are very well set as it stands!  You already have my top recommendation, a Telrad, and in time I'd recommend the Lacerta dual speed focusser upgrade for the 250px - but in time when funds allow like a birthday present next year :)

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p2625_1-10-micro-transmission-for-retrofitment-of-Crayford-focusers.html

Again, in time, an O-III filter is what I'd recommend for certain nebulae.  I eventually also purchased a UHC (both Astronomik). I stuck to 1.25" EPs in my 250px- simplifying filter diameter choice!  My widefield was a Panoptic 24mm.  I loved my T6 Naglers in that scope, but there are plenty of cheaper options available now which are highly regarded (e.g. ES).

Another cheap accessory sometime is Baader solar film - can be great fun ... especially when the sunspot cycle picks up ;) The 250px is a very versatile scope imho. After a few years i picked up some binoviewers which worked great - so lots of future possibilities of adding extra dimensions to the capabilities and enjoyment of your scope all in good time ;)

• Like 3

Thank you all very much for your words and advice, much appreciated.

Forgot to mention that I have purchased a couple of books, "Turn Left At Orion"  and "Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas" (Not so pocket though as it's the jumbo edition :D ) and also a David Chandler Planisphere.

All I need now is for the clouds to go away and the rain to stop and I will be set :) 

• Like 1

I think, as advised, am not going to go all out looking for extras and more stuff. Have a couple of filters now in mind (UHC and OIII) and also a 2" 32mm EP.

Is there a 32mm 2" EP that anyone recommends that's decent and also not going to cost me the earth ?

Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rhw1967 said:

I think, as advised, am not going to go all out looking for extras and more stuff. Have a couple of filters now in mind (UHC and OIII) and also a 2" 32mm EP.

Is there a 32mm 2" EP that anyone recommends that's decent and also not going to cost me the earth ?

Thanks

That could be tricky recommendation to make as inherently they get more expensive the bigger they get. I think the second hand market would be a good place to start. I have a 2" explore scientific which I am really pleased with, but not exactly cheap though.

However, one bit of advice I was given when I was looking for mine was to consider the weight of the eyepiece. When you're talking that sort of size, they can be very heavy and you might find your dob will struggle to hold position with the eyepiece in place. Especially if you are viewing at around 50deg ish and lower. Before committing, I would research the weight, then see if your scope can manage that extra weight by getting something equivalent and if you can, suspend it from the eyepiece holder. Just don't drop it down onto the mirror. Do it at an angle so if it does slip, it fails to  the floor. Even betterer, try someone else's first would be ideal, though I appreciate not always possible.

Hope this helps,

Tony

• Like 2

Yep have been looking at the 2nd hand market, some good deals to be found if you're quick I think.

That 2" ES you have is lovely, I googled it and showed my partner, she just said "How much ?"... hahahahaha

Kidding apart though I will see what I can find 2nd hand. I got my Baader Mark IV Zoom with the Barlow for 125 which I was amazed at. Brand new with no box. I was just expecting the zoom and figured that was a bargain, but was shocked and delighted when I received it and it also had the Barlow with it.

• Like 3

My advice jibes with a lot of the above: stop spending money for a good while yet. Enjoy and learn about the kit you have. You have a good setup already. Stand easy.

By the way, what do you think the limit is before your girlfriend does kill you? 😳

And if you’re past that limit already - well, she can only kill you once ... 😈

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Howie glatter lazer collimator

• Like 1

I have used something very similar to this Budget eyepiece, the 32mm  just under 45 quid. You are using an F4.7 scope so you are not going to get teleview nagler views.  You may get a good view accross maybe 50/60 % of the eyepiece with refocussing needed if you start edge on viewing.  Like I say, I used one and it was ok but eventually I upgraded to get a better view. It was a useful stepping stone for a year or so.

However, what it will do is open up your eyes to widefield views and the potential these offer.  First time I switched from plossl to a 68 degree view I was blown away.

The above is a good balance between cost and quality for now, satisfies your need/want for wider field views without busting the bank until you are in a position to upgrade.

I would troll 2nd hand sites first though, you might strike lucky with an ES EP.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

I have used something very similar to this Budget eyepiece, the 32mm  just under 45 quid. You are using an F4.7 scope so you are not going to get teleview nagler views.  You may get a good view accross maybe 50/60 % of the eyepiece with refocussing needed if you start edge on viewing.  Like I say, I used one and it was ok but eventually I upgraded to get a better view. It was a useful stepping stone for a year or so.

However, what it will do is open up your eyes to widefield views and the potential these offer.  First time I switched from plossl to a 68 degree view I was blown away.

The above is a good balance between cost and quality for now, satisfies your need/want for wider field views without busting the bank until you are in a position to upgrade.

I would troll 2nd hand sites first though, you might strike lucky with an ES EP.

Thanks. Yep, I think that's a good shout. Get a 32mm lower priced EP for now and keep my eyes wide at the second hand market to see what comes up. Will have a look for that one. It's OOS in that link but will check around.

Cheers

3 minutes ago, rhw1967 said:

Thanks. Yep, I think that's a good shout. Get a 32mm lower priced EP for now and keep my eyes wide at the second hand market to see what comes up. Will have a look for that one. It's OOS in that link but will check around.

Cheers

Slightly dearer but here you go

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Opticstar-2-XS-70-Super-Wide-Angle-32mm-FMC-Eyepiece-UK-/322562430833

• Like 1

Perfect.. thank you so much, am going to grab one.

Much appreciated. My Missus cannot complain about 50 quid but if she does I'm going to tell her you said I HAD to have it :D 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rhw1967 said:

Perfect.. thank you so much, am going to grab one.

Much appreciated. My Missus cannot complain about 50 quid but if she does I'm going to tell her you said I HAD to have it :D 

TIP: "All" eyepieces cost about 20 quid. Thats what I tell my mrs. 👍😂

Edited by bomberbaz
  • Haha 2

Couldn't give better advice than Jonk. Get the scope somewhere good and dark. You'll see so much more, then, once you're familiar with the scope and how to use it you may find you don't need filters. 

Bravo on the Telrad purchase though. I would have recommended one although it might take some discipline to use it and not just rely on the go-to. It will come in handy though I guess if you loose power or have any doubts over the accuracy of it for any reason.

If you absolutely have to spend some money go and get a foam camping mat from Sports direct, a stanley knife and some Velcro strips from the supermarket and have a whale of a time making a dew shield. 

You will eventually be overcome with desire for more eyepieces. Orthos and the Explore Scientific 82 degree and 68 degree ranges are a decent buy, especially on the used market

• Like 2