Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_inspirational_skies_winners.thumb.jpg.94f78e21c195e385c5621d89ea0b51b9.jpg

strayring

Cape Town Star Party

Hi all, I shall be joining a star party/outreach with these fine folk at Paarl about 50km from Cape Town tomorrow night.

First time I will be taking my scope with, I hope I'm up to showing public the right things. I think I will target 47Tucanae its the most impressive object at the moment I think, but I'm sure I will be able to get advice from some very experienced people. Looking forward to an interesting night!

Cheers, Ray.

OOG1.jpg.035ffa2de489f27f3f31591ae8726fbb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi @strayring and welcome to SGL :hello2: and wishing you clear skies for the star-party from the northern hemisphere.

• Like 1

Hi Ray,

Good luck at your first SP. I am sure you will have a gas.

There are some very impressive scopes in that picture, is that from last year / SP?

Cant see signatures, what scope are you taking?

hi Ian, Yeah I need to fix my signature. My scope is an Orion XT8.

That is a photo from a previous star party. There are a couple of guys that work at the SALT South African Large Telescope  https://www.salt.ac.za/  will probably be there tomorrow night, should be interesting.

Whats worrying me a bit is I read some star party reports that say public viewers have difficulty with using dobs for the first time at these events.

Thanks, Ray

Not sure what they are specifically referring to but some people may not have grasped the knack of nudging a Dob. All down to practice and how smooth the bearings are.

Edited by Uplooker