SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mars in October

orion25

Hello, all! Here is a composite of a few Mars images I took last month with my Orion 180mm Mak using a Celestron 2x barlow and the Orion 5MP StarShoot camera, processed in Registax and Photoshop. Mars is on the move but it's giving quite a farewell show ;) :

258443503_ASTRONOMY-MARSPOST-OPPOSITION2018(5MP)OCTOBERCAPTION.thumb.jpg.3005ac71d2eca8555c388207a35e4640.jpg

Cheers!

Reggie

A beautiful composition friend Reggie!
I know the work that this kind of photo does. We are dependent on time to help, the conditions of capture are never exactly the same and this makes it difficult to have a homogeneous nature.
I'm preparing something similar but with a slightly longer period of time, I have not yet forecast to post.
A hug!

Avani

31 minutes ago, orion25 said:

Have been doing any good stargazing lately?

Of course Reggie, I have done a fair bit of stargazing! I'm a lazy gazer, though. No enthralling reports or fine presentations from me.

(I really ought to be ashamed. But, my excuse is that you guys are doing such a good job of recording the sky for posterity that I don't need to do a thing. See? Lazy!)

7 hours ago, astroavani said:

A beautiful composition friend Reggie!
I know the work that this kind of photo does. We are dependent on time to help, the conditions of capture are never exactly the same and this makes it difficult to have a homogeneous nature.
I'm preparing something similar but with a slightly longer period of time, I have not yet forecast to post.
A hug!

Avani

Thank you, Avani, my brother! I know your composition will be an epic one! I'll be looking out for it :D 

Big hug!

Reggie

2 hours ago, dweller25 said:

Excellent captures showing how quickly Mars reduces in size - and good detail considering it's altitude ?

Thanks, David! Yes, it's quickly receding from us, and interestingly gaining altitude for us in the Northern Hemisphere, lol.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Excellent series Reggie, very nicely presented. It really does show Mars heading off quite quickly, but some nice detail visible still.

Thanks, Stu! As expected, Mars is getting more interesting as it moves away, lol!

3 hours ago, RayD said:

Wow, super set, Reggie.  Just one is nice to see, the four presented like that is excellent.

Thanks for sharing this.

Thanks,  Ray! I've got images going back to June; I may do a superset at the end of the year!

12 hours ago, Space Oddities said:

Great composition, Reggie! I have yet to dive more seriously into planetary imaging, but I like your idea :)  It certainly requires a lot of work!

Thanks, Pierre! Imaging is fun. There's nothing like taking your own pictures of the cosmos. It's not as hard as you think even with modest equipment. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Still getting some fine details there, despite the shrinking size.

Thanks, Pete. I hope to keep getting detail as I take a few more images as the year wanes. It's been quite a journey in observing and imaging Mars this year ;)

Archived