Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Potential Observing Session - Sat 17th November

AdeKing

Can I interest anyone in an observing session on Sat 17th November, weather permitting.

I'm considering one of the sites on Purbeck, either the campsite suggested by Dan at Steeple or the car park on top of the ridge at Grange Hill, Steeple suggested by Demon Performer.

If its only a couple of us then we'll use the car park, but if a number of us are able to go then I'll contact the campsite.

Obviously weather dependent, but let me know if you're interested.

Ade

I expect / hope to be in Swyre on the 17th, but whether I'll be in any condition for an observing session is anyone's guess. All I'll have is a pair of bins and my SA, and I'm not sure the imaging train is in fettle.

Hi Ade,

Just wondered if you (and anyone else, for that matter) are still on for Saturday? Weather's looking promising, and although the moon will be bright, I'm still up for giving it a go. Planning to bring the 250PX and possibly my 20x80s. 

Kev

Hi Kev,

I'm still intending to go along, but have been holding off posting as I didn't want to jinx the weather forecast.

I know that @Grumpy Martian is down this weekend, so there could be three of us or maybe four if @DaveS can make it.  

Looking at ClearOutside, the forecast for Sunday is better, but lets see how it changes as the week progresses.

I'll probably bring an ED100 on an EQ5 and a DSLR with iOptron Skytracker with some bins.

Ade 

Peter and I are planning to get there quite early to make the most of the forecast so will be there from about 19:30'ish.

The car park on top of the hill overlooking Steeple is where I was intending as it looked like a very good location when I visited on Monday afternoon.

Looking forward to meeting you @kev100

Can confirm tonight is looking up to be an amazing night for stargazing.

Leonids also peaked this morning, so should still be able to see a few flying across by then. Hope you guys enjoy it out there.  

(Ingore the pointer, that's for me) 
Fjazt8E.png?1
Also to note - its an easterly wind so the cloud on the left isn't coming towards us.

Looking forward to your reports ?

Thanks to @AdeKing@kev100 and @Grumpy Martian for your great company last evening. Despite the early cloud, chilly wind and bright Moon it was nevertheless very enjoyable!

Imaging was very hit and miss but I managed to pick the best 34 of the 60 1-minute frames I took of the NE Milky Way region without any calibration frames and put this heavily cropped image together with DSS and StarTools.  Capella to the lower left and the Pleiades to the lower right with the California Nebula between them, double cluster middle left with the Heart and Soul Nebulae to their left, and of course the Andromeda Galaxy to the upper right.

962428133_NEMWannotated.thumb.jpg.de94b76b6de625f55c9ef3b692b85ae1.jpg

Looking forward to the next get together!

4 hours ago, prusling said:

Thanks, Kev, your 100 degree 20mm Myriad on the 250px was a revelation - closest I have come to naturally looking through a window to the universe!

I agree, thanks Kevin. And thanks to Peter, Kevin and Ade for a lovely observing meet up. Look forward to another. Just what I imagined a great observing meet up would be like. 

6 hours ago, prusling said:

Thanks to @AdeKing@kev100 and @Grumpy Martian for your great company last evening. Despite the early cloud, chilly wind and bright Moon it was nevertheless very enjoyable!

Imaging was very hit and miss but I managed to pick the best 34 of the 60 1-minute frames I took of the NE Milky Way region without any calibration frames and put this heavily cropped image together with DSS and StarTools.  Capella to the lower left and the Pleiades to the lower right with the California Nebula between them, double cluster middle left with the Heart and Soul Nebulae to their left, and of course the Andromeda Galaxy to the upper right.

962428133_NEMWannotated.thumb.jpg.de94b76b6de625f55c9ef3b692b85ae1.jpg

Looking forward to the next get together!

That is a pleasing image Peter. Especially as the conditions were

differcult. The double cluster is there. One of my fav targets. Thanks. 

I'm a bit late coming back to this, but thanks to @kev100, @prusling and @Grumpy Martian for braving the cold easterly wind and gathering on a rather breezy ridge in the middle of Purbeck.  We had a good night of observing despite the early cloud giving a poor start and the near full moon washing out a lot of the DSOs. 

Unfortunately my first attempt at imaging was a dead loss, so I won't embarrass myself by posting it here, I'm impressed by Peter's image that has been posted.

Hopefully we can have a repeat in the not too distant future, and I'll try to pay more attention to the moon phase next time.

Thanks again for turning up guys, it was nice to meet you Kev and good to get together with you again Peter and Martin.

Ade

It was great to meet up with you all. With regards to the moon, I think that it's a case of getting out when we can. I enjoyed turning the refractor to the moon. Until the next time. 

Archived