SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Orion Nebula - Cloud dodging for dust

steppenwolf

To my frustration I watched the cloud come in during the imaging of my first object tonight, the dark nebula Barnard168. But with a bit of cloud dodging I did manage to acquire my secondary target, The Orion Nebula and the Running Man Nebula. I particularly wanted to concentrate on the dust area so no major attempt was made to maintain the core. 10X 400 second subs. plus 10 x 100 second subs. I am certainly pleased with the field of view of the CCD.

m42_311008_l.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow Steve thats awesome .. It has given me some idfeas though ....

Some long subs on M42 area tonight I think to try and prode an EHDR image :)

I must admit I have gone for he dust on the Flame HHN shot overnight (24x300) at iso 1600 with the flame and HNN towardsthe top of the frame.. and I am about to find out if i got it...

Billy...

Steve,

Nice that you caught some of the dim emission nebula in the periphery of the shot. With a lot of subs, the dim extended area around M42 is stunning. As I was packing up (in disgust) last nigh following many problems, I was thinking of your desire to image M42 as I watched the clouds start rolling in.

Dave

Very nice colour and detail in the dust there, what was the imaging setup?

John

This image was taken with my Skywatcher ED80 Refractor, William optics 0.8 focal reducer and SXVF-M25C CCD. The image has been cropped to 81% of full size and then reduced in size for the Internet.

Still trying to learn but was this guided as well. If so which set up.

Hi Mick, yes this was autoguided using a second 80mm telescope with a focal length of 400mm and a Starlight Xpress SXV autoguider.

I like the lack of treatment ot the core since it makes for a softer more natural image

Martin, its funny how easy it is to get hooked on getting the Trapezium to show as well as the nebulosity but this time I thought I do things a bit differently as that dust is amazing stuff!

Archived