Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

STC Duo-Narrowband filter unboxing

Miguel1983

On 27/11/2018 at 08:20, artem said:

If the 2-Filter Combos is interesting !! then here is the 3-Filter Combo.. OPT Triad Tri-Band Narrowband Filter

https://optcorp.com/products/opt-triad-tri-band-narrowband-filter#shopify-product-reviews

Cheers

Martin

That’s interresting for sure, but a whopping $775 for the 2” filter ???

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Miguel1983 said:

True Miguel ! but when you buy good quality NB filters covering the TRI BAND FiILtERS band, then you also must pay the same price, and something else, the TRI BAND FILTER is for COLOR CCD*s

But, I do not itnent to buy one " soon ?" but maybe someday..

Cheers

Martin

31 minutes ago, Miguel1983 said:

But as I posted at the time, one of the pass-bands covers two lines, so the filter still only has 2 pass-bands, so to call it a 'Tri-band' is a bit of a misnomer in my view. The Ha channel does have a 3nm pass-band, though, IIRC.

Ian

• 1 month later...

Hello there,

I did buy the STC DUAL NAROWBAND filter 2 months ago, and was not able to use it due to lack of clear sky, but yesterday  and finally ? the sky was so clear and I had the chance to use the filter, with my old SXV M25C CCD + TS-Optics 86SDQ 86mm F5.4 Quadruplet 4-Element Flatfield APO.

I did capture the M43 !

My location is very heavy light polluted! ?

I did manage to take 53x60 Sec. subs " light only " " no DARK" and here is the result..

I must say, the Filter is amazing, I did not want to use my Color CCD, since it was waste of time due to the light pollution.. but with the STC Filter, I will use it more often.

Regards

Martin

At9vrrgWAN1s_620x0_0Wcv5IxE.jpg

https://www.astrobin.com/389518/B/?nc=user

1 hour ago, artem said:

By the way, since we did talk about the STC DUOBAND NAROWBAND FILTER and also about the OPT TRIBAND FILTER, and the latest Filter is a  RADIAN TRIAD ULTRA QUAD-BAND NARROWBAND FILTER.

https://optcorp.com/products/opt-triad-ultra-quad-band-narrowband-filter

Regards

Martin

That one is really interesting - covering all four significant bands! And a price that matches four separate filters :(

9 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

That one is really interesting - covering all four significant bands! And a price that matches four separate filters :(

Yes, TRUE.. I keep on watching the Filter every now and then.?. that is a very interesting Filter.. but the PRICE is high not to mention Taxes are also a subject to think about.. But the RADIAN TRIAD ULTRA QUAD-BAND NARROWBAND FILTER is very interesting

You can read and see pictures taken with the filter here..  

HERE

Regards

Martin

3 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

But, for example, Ha & SII will both be on the red channel, so aren't separate. Taking this to a ridiculous extreme just don't use any filter and you capture EVERY narrowband wavelength.

I'm looking it from a different perspective - use with mono cameras and narrow band imaging.

Same as with LRGB - using above filter one can capture "luminance" signal for NB image, and all 4 bands at the same time (well 3 bands - Hb is emitted by the same gas as Ha - only excited to higher state so you can't find Hb signal without associated and much stronger Ha) - meaning less time for integration and higher SNR. Then one takes shorter NB in 3 bands just for artificial color for example - in the same way RGB is used to colorize L.

Doing "continuous" NB imaging would defeat the purpose of NB imaging - both LP and non NB signal will end up in the image.

5 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

But, for example, Ha & SII will both be on the red channel, so aren't separate. Taking this to a ridiculous extreme just don't use any filter and you capture EVERY narrowband wavelength.

Someday ! also this "just don't use any filter and you capture EVERY narrowband wavelength." will be possible.. when the CCD INDUSTRY did develope such a CCD..

Is only a matter of time..

But until then, we need to stick to use a FILTER !! ???

Cheers

Martin

But when I don't use a filter, I DO capture Ha, OIII,  Sii, Nii, Hb and every other narrowband wavelength. This filter does NOT separate each of these wavelengths.

However, I do see @vlaiv's point about using it as an L filter. It will be interesting to see how that works out in practice.

16 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

less time for integration and higher SNR.

I do confirm, that I really need less time to integrate the subs taken with COLOR CCD + "STC DUOBAND NAROWBAND FILTER"

I did suddenly start to "LIKE" my COLOR CCD which was left behind since almost 2 years "UNUSED".

Before the STC FILTER, maximum SUB I was able to take with my COLOR CCD was maybe 30-45 seconds, and the DATA quality was poor!

Yesterday I did manage to take also a 10 MINUTE SUB and it was not saturated "due to light pollution" 

Here is the 10 minute sub UNPROCESSED " 600SECONDS" from M43 with STC Filter+SXV M25C COLOCCD : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1y2nu6vxfwjc-AE4dYoJQJ0dvEEN03CSg

regards

Martin

16 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

However, I do see @vlaiv's point about using it as an L filter. It will be interesting to see how that works out in practice.

Does that mean ? the "STC DUOBAND NAROWBAND FILTER" in combination with a MONO CCD ?

Regards

Martin

4 minutes ago, artem said:

Does that mean ? the "STC DUOBAND NAROWBAND FILTER" in combination with a MONO CCD ?

Regards

Martin

You can use it that way. In the same way as L filter is used with LRGB imaging - it captures full bandwidth and provides better SNR for same integration time - by virtue of accumulating stronger signal (no part of spectrum is cut off).

Duoband filter can be used for bi color images - shoot part of session with it - as luminance layer, and part of session with OIII and Ha filters to provide color, then "mix" as you would LRGB - I would create bicolor from OIII + Ha, stretch it, then separate into Lab color space components. Take "luminance" layer as mono (from Duoband) - stretch that as mono and recombine Lab image to RGB but replace original L with this duoband L.

Hope it makes sense.

11 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

You can use it that way. In the same way as L filter is used with LRGB imaging - it captures full bandwidth and provides better SNR for same integration time - by virtue of accumulating stronger signal (no part of spectrum is cut off).

Hello vlaiv

Sure, I can do that for you.. I have the STC DUOBAND FILTER, and also a MONO CCD..  Once done, I will post the SUBS here.. Will be my pleasure !! :)

I will try to get as much data as possible, also with M43 !

Regards

Martin

3 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

Just reread your post, Martin. Just checking, so don't be offended by this question. You do realise that vlaiv's suggestion requires you not only to have the duo filter, but separate Ha & OIII filters as well?

My original idea indeed was along the lines you are suggesting - having both Ha and OIII.

On the other hand - very nice mono image could be produced with Duoband and mono, and even very fine bicolor NB can be produced without Ha and OIII filters if one has both mono and color cams - Luminance would come from mono camera and duoband - color data would come from color camera and douband - you don't need narrowband filters for Ha and OIII - camera will split duoband bands into Ha and OIII via use of bayer matrix on the sensor.

So there are a lot's of possibilities to play around with, for this particular filter.

48 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

Just reread your post, Martin. Just checking, so don't be offended by this question. You do realise that vlaiv's suggestion requires you not only to have the duo filter, but separate Ha & OIII filters as well?

Hello DP,

I think I can also manage that.. MONO CCD + STC DUO FILTER SUBS + HA + OIII ( I have all needed  filters ), I only would need CLEAR SKY !! Let me see if I can manage that..  The biggest problem is, CLEAR SKY..

I am also interested to Play around..

I will do my best and I am never offended 

Regards

Martin

Hello DP and vlaiv ,

Here am I, in the cold and the 1st picture taken with QHY163M + STC DUO BAND FILTER 5 Minute sub -5c, as next I will move to HA 7nm Filter from Baader and then O3 also from BAADER 8.5nm.. More will follow

Cheers

Martin

18 hours ago, vlaiv said:

Same as with LRGB - using above filter one can capture "luminance" signal for NB image, and all 4 bands at the same time (well 3 bands - Hb is emitted by the same gas as Ha - only excited to higher state so you can't find Hb signal without associated and much stronger Ha) - meaning less time for integration and higher SNR. Then one takes shorter NB in 3 bands just for artificial color for example - in the same way RGB is used to colorize L.

I have been thinking about this and it would be interesting to see some sort of comparison figures for how much time would be saved. So, for example, if I have a target that, with my individual Ha, Oiii & Sii filters, requires 1 hour with each filter to achieve a given result, how much time would I need with each of the now 4 individual filters to get an identical result, assuming identical scope, camera, etc and identical conditions (Yes, I know ... spherical chickens in a vaccuum!).

Good morning,

It was SO COLD yesterday, and I did manage to get 20 minutes subs with STC FILTER and 20Minutes with BAADER HA 7nm Filter, but when it was so far to start to take some subs with the BAADER O3 8.5nm filter, I had to stop since the weather did change, I will gather the O3 later ! when suitable..

But the STC FILTER with a MONO CCD is also a very good combination..

Regards

Martin

Archived