Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Takahashi scopes???

2 minutes ago, TareqPhoto said:

What I meant is, that maybe because I've got is so cheap I got cheated with it or it is not a Brand new actually, I don't know, it was inside the box sealed and all wrapped and clean as they are never used, I don't know why it was at that much low cost, I never found anywhere that 200mm f5 Newt for $200 brand new anyway of any brand, so I said even if it is not good for any reason I should be happy because of the price, now I just hope it is really GOOD and my guess is wrong.

I can understand that, everyone including me loves a bargain.  $200 is a fair old gamble if it turns out duff!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Scott said:

Olly's images are among the best you will ever see. He is one of the few imagers who can pull out all the detail the data has to offer. This is why he can justify owning the scopes he has. I think you have plenty of information to make an informed opinion. Now's the time to decide if it's for you or not.
I have nothing more to offer here

That is nice, so he was able to do that from first year or first time he bought any scope? let's say when he bought that TAK/TEC he was already experienced enough with processing and imaging to deliver that unbelievable images? I know why now I want to buy a Tak then, and thanks, I want to enjoy his images so I can really live more with Tak images to prepare myself, hehehe

3 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I can understand that, everyone including me loves a bargain.  $200 is a fair old gamble if it turns out duff!

We will see, I already bought it and it is over 7 months or maybe 8 months now, I forgot about the price already, so I better use it and never care what condition it was really.

I really can't wait to give it a try under the stars, once I get the adapter then I will try, I bought it mainly for galaxies not Andromeda, or some clusters, will see.

We will see, I already bought it and it is over 7 months or maybe 8 months now, I forgot about the price already, so I better use it and never care what condition it was really.

I really can't wait to give it a try under the stars, once I get the adapter then I will try, I bought it mainly for galaxies not Andromeda, or some clusters, will see.

Well I wish you all the best with it, please post your results on the forum ?

5 minutes ago, TareqPhoto said:

That is nice, so he was able to do that from first year or first time he bought any scope? let's say when he bought that TAK/TEC he was already experienced enough with processing and imaging to deliver that unbelievable images? I know why now I want to buy a Tak then, and thanks, I want to enjoy his images so I can really live more with Tak images to prepare myself, hehehe

I don't buy anything, optics, cameras, software on the basis of reputation but on what I've seen done with it. So my TEC 140 is now considered 'top of the range.' But hang on, when I bought it (second hand) quite a few years ago it was considered an upstart in the market and way cheaper than Takahashi or AP. It was the poor man's high end Apo. Because it performs well it has moved up-market in terms of reputation, at least in some circles. On one CN thread, though, it was dismissed by one person as a high end achromat. I consider this opinion to be nonsensical but it was an opinion expressed on the thread.

I use a couple of Atik 11000 cameras. These are regularly dismissed as obsolete with terrible noise and dismal quantum efficiency. I couldn't care less what the detractors say, I use these cameras with enjoyment and like what they produce.

My Tak FSQ106N cost, in the end, less than £2000. It has a home made micro focuser which cost about 2 euros.

MICROFOCUS1-M.jpg

Both my Mesu mounts were second hand and are the old models. I don't use robotic focus, I don't plate solve, I don't use expensive hubs. 

In a nutshell I don't do imaging by throwing money (or software) at it and I certainly don't worship brands.

Olly

6 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I don't buy anything, optics, cameras, software on the basis of reputation but on what I've seen done with it. So my TEC 140 is now considered 'top of the range.' But hang on, when I bought it (second hand) quite a few years ago it was considered an upstart in the market and way cheaper than Takahashi or AP. It was the poor man's high end Apo. Because it performs well it has moved up-market in terms of reputation, at least in some circles. On one CN thread, though, it was dismissed by one person as a high end achromat. I consider this opinion to be nonsensical but it was an opinion expressed on the thread.

I use a couple of Atik 11000 cameras. These are regularly dismissed as obsolete with terrible noise and dismal quantum efficiency. I couldn't care less what the detractors say, I use these cameras with enjoyment and like what they produce.

My Tak FSQ106N cost, in the end, less than £2000. It has a home made micro focuser which cost about 2 euros.

MICROFOCUS1-M.jpg

Both my Mesu mounts were second hand and are the old models. I don't use robotic focus, I don't plate solve, I don't use expensive hubs. 

In a nutshell I don't do imaging by throwing money (or software) at it and I certainly don't worship brands.

Olly

Really good for you and lucky, be thankful for that, not so many people like you, enjoy and clear sky!

Really good for you and lucky, be thankful for that, not so many people like you, enjoy and clear sky!

There are lots of imagers like me and plenty with more talent. I just have more time to do AP because it's part of what I do for a living and I have around 250 clear nights per year. To stick with the cost theme, this was done with a cheap Samyang 85 camera lens - and 85 hours, which is the key thing.

ORION%202014%20reprocessWEB-M.jpg

Just to prove I don't worship the latest technology...

203141006_Isambardrearemail.thumb.jpg.47ec740a436c33b2df54ad3dfab4c8a6.jpg

:icon_mrgreen:lly

20 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

There are lots of imagers like me and plenty with more talent. I just have more time to do AP because it's part of what I do for a living and I have around 250 clear nights per year. To stick with the cost theme, this was done with a cheap Samyang 85 camera lens - and 85 hours, which is the key thing.

ORION%202014%20reprocessWEB-M.jpg

Just to prove I don't worship the latest technology...

203141006_Isambardrearemail.thumb.jpg.47ec740a436c33b2df54ad3dfab4c8a6.jpg

:icon_mrgreen:lly

Should I buy Samyang 85mm now?

I have lenses too, I will use them soon, I bought side by side dovetail and also dovetail plate for lenses, but I have almost old versions of lenses, only one or 2 newer lenses.

Beautiful image of that Orion region, I saw Samyang or Rokinon shining for ultra wide field imaging, so should I get one then? I don't know if my old models lenses can be just fine.

1 minute ago, TareqPhoto said:

I have lenses too, I will use them soon, I bought side by side dovetail and also dovetail plate for lenses, but I have almost old versions of lenses, only one or 2 newer lenses.

Beautiful image of that Orion region, I saw Samyang or Rokinon shining for ultra wide field imaging, so should I get one then? I don't know if my old models lenses can be just fine.

I think there are lots of great old lenses but I don't know them specifically.

Olly

12 hours ago, TareqPhoto said:

As it has been stated many times, it is not just the equipment that makes a beautiful image... it helps, but 85 hours of integration time, top skills and a lot of experience, perseverance and patience are far more important qualities.

Allow yourself to make mistakes, buy a scope, use it and learn. If it does not sattisfy your needs, buy another one, since money does not seem to be an issue for you. The best school is still the real world. Crawling, walking, running is the right sequence...

13 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Most sensible thing I've read in a long time. 

No amount of money can compensate for poor execution. Skills first, spend later.

The OP seems to have made his mind up and further "discussion" seems to be pointless, It seems to be a good point to close things off. Thanks all for your contributions and let's hope the op is happy with whatever direction he chooses

• Scott locked this topic

Archived