Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
By Paolo Silvestri
Hi everyone, I recently decided to get a 70-200 f2.8 lens or similar (liek 80-200 nikkor) to mount on my Nikon D3300 and Star Adventurer, because as a landscape photographer I feel I will use way more a tele lens than a telescope. It will be a graduation present, so I hope no budget limit. My question is: which lens to choose? In order to capture some extra details I'll most likely add a teleconverter 2x if the choice will be a 70-200, otherwise I'm considering a 100-400 Sigma or Tamron but I can't find anything about how they perform. Thanks for your advices.
im about to purchase my first astrophotography rig and was wanting some opinions on the best method to capture subs. I’m looking at using backyard EOS on my laptop to control the DSLR, but would using a shutter release cable be better/easier?
I want to get into astrophotography. I have a Newtonian (200/1000) and I'd like to buy a DSLR. My preferred maker is Canon, but you can change my mind if you recommend something else and I like it . My budget is around $700 or less and most importantly used cameras not an option because in my country there isn't any good places to buy used DSLRs. I'd like to do prime focus photos and some Milky Way photos. I found out that the 1000d would be a good option but it's not in the stores any more. Then I thought about the 750d but it has vertical lines in the photos. Now I'm thinking about the 2000d but I didn't found any astrophoto experiences with it on the internet. So what's your recommendations?
I have an entertaining video to share with you which is perfect for those just starting out and wanting to taste a bit of astrophotography without spending a lot of money. I image from London and managed to get a pretty good shot of Orion for just £150. This video runs through where I bought the equipment, why I bought it and how I used it to capture a Orion and some of the trials and tribulations I had to deal with on the way. Any questions please ask! Enjoy!
FYI I shot this last year but with Orion now beginning to rise over the rooftops of London I thought this would be a good time to share it.
We had a few hours of clear skies here on Saturday night, so I set about getting some O-III for the Western Veil, after I had collected the Ha last month. Thankfully, the moon wasn't around, so even though I didn't get that many subs (only 10) at least they were of good quality.
I actually fell asleep during the capture, and woke up to a 'Sequence Aborted' message in SGP and the sight of PHD2 going mad due to thick clouds. Quickly ran outside and thankfully there was no rain about (phew!). I got 11 subs in total, but the last one was totally unusable due to the clouds. The 10th one was affected too, but still looked useable to me, given that I know from experience that APP's 'Quality' stacking mode would know to give it less of a weighting, so I kept it.
So this is 15 * 1200s of Ha and 10 * 1200s of OIII (8 Hrs 20 mins in total).
Taken with the usual gear: Nikon D5300 (modded); HEQ5-Pro and a SW 80ED.
Calibrated with Flats, Bias, and a Bad Pixel Map. APP used for stacking and gradient reduction. Everything else done in PS (including running Carboni's 'Synthesize Green Channel' action).
After now having processed both the Eastern & Western Veils, I have to say I have found them to be among the hardest targets to process that I've done so far (although it's still early days for me yet, think I'm still under 15 DSO's and counting). I'm not sure if it's down to the sheer number of stars, or the very faint nebulosity that seems to be everywhere, but I've found the background to be especially difficult on these ones. Getting the Ha and OIII nicely balanced before combining probably has something to do with it. I also tend to do gradient reduction (which seems to affect the OIII a lot more than Ha) on the individual stacks before I combine them, so I wonder if I'd be better just leaving it to later in the process? (which I had to do again anyway, as there was still a noticeable red gradient visible later in the workflow).
Something to note, I did go quite heavy on the star reduction. More so than I normally would. I found it wasn't until I upped it significantly, that the nebulosity really started to take centre stage. I like the impact it has made to the image overall, but it made me feel a little dirty at the same time, lol (if that makes any sense).
Also, this isn't actually the finished version just yet. I have a bit more work to do on the background and stars (which need their colour toned down in places - probably shouldn't have ran Carboni's 'Increase Star Colour', in hindsight I don't think it needed it). I was literally falling asleep at the monitor last night while attempting to finish it off, and in the end had to admit defeat. So hopefully I can get around to it later tonight.
Then the next thing will be the big mosaic of both Eastern & Western Veils. I'm both looking forward to, and dreading it, in equal measures 😆
As always C&C warmly welcomed!