Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25.thumb.jpg.f1d5d01d306644f613efd90ef96b314c.jpg

Anyone got one of these to set the location in Stellarium.  I've got the s/w to see the GPS dongle, but just keeps attempting fix one after another.

591581782_ScreenShot2018-11-07at22_08_12.png.a3313f61dcd1839a0156bd7208bdf47a.png

Edited by dtastro

I have one of these and if I remember, some versions of the ublox software worked and some didn't for some reason.

Can you try an earlier version?

GPS also doesn't work that well indoors so are you trying outside, without too much around you? They also need to "warm up" so you may not get a fix for a minute or 2.

I'm also not sure if it works natively under windows, assuming you're using windows.

45 minutes ago, Jonk said:

I have one of these and if I remember, some versions of the ublox software worked and some didn't for some reason.

Can you try an earlier version?

GPS also doesn't work that well indoors so are you trying outside, without too much around you? They also need to "warm up" so you may not get a fix for a minute or 2.

I'm also not sure if it works natively under windows, assuming you're using windows.

It's plug and play in windows 10..only tried indoors...will have to give it a try outside when it stops raining.

Edited by dtastro

i had one and it would not work well indoors, even in the wooden obsy warm room,  i but it out side on a usb cable and it worked immediately.  

In my experience all GPS sensors are not equal, the one on my Meade SCT gets a signal quickest even with the plastic obs'y roof closed, the iOptron takes up to 10 minutes sometimes and the MG Box somewhere between the two.

They detect up to 10 satellites before they get a fix.

Dave

Edited by Davey-T

Just tried outside and still nothing in Stellarium...just keeps cycling through GPS location Fix 1 to XXX