Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_inspirational_skies_winners.thumb.jpg.94f78e21c195e385c5621d89ea0b51b9.jpg

TheMan

Which Barlow For AP

Now I know that everyone is going to tell me off for wanting a barlow for AP. But i would like a longer focal length (i have a 72mm ed apo f/5.5) there are achromatic, apochromatic, cheap, $$$$$ ones and I am really stuck to know what I should get, what should i look out for? any advice will be appreciated.

The usual rule is "you get what you pay for" so get the best that you can afford. Televue are good. I can't see why you would want this for DSOs so I presume that it's for planetary imaging.

Peter

I use a 2x for planetary imaging on my 10"newt. Results are pleasing.

I hate to be "that person", but I recommend checking what arcsec/pixel you're aiming for and consider the diffraction-limited maximum resolution of your scope, which is roughly 1.9 arcsec. Maybe you already have, but I just don't want you to waste money on an expensive barlow.

Edited by Shibby

I was wondering what camera you are using as it will have an impact on the size of barlow (1.25 vs 2 inch) required, I would also check as per the advice from Shibby, you can use the astronomy tools in the recourse tab at the top of the page.

I have a small refractor that I use with a DSLR and actually use my camera lens teleconvertor with it.

Alan