Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss.thumb.jpg.5b348d6a5e7f27bdcb79e9356b7fc03b.jpg

Newbs2215

Tripod and Mount

Hi All,

I am looking for a second hand tripod and mount.

I already have an old Helios (old Skywatcher) mount and a tripod. I have just repaired the tripod, but have been advised that the tripod is not suitable for the 200mm Newtonian reflector tube , that it came with. It is quite heavy and about 20years old, I think. (please see attached Pics)

I had hoped to get away with just a newish tripod, but the mount is custom fitted for the tripod, hence looking for a newish EQ Mount and Tripod.

Please PM me, if you have anything to offer.

Graham

20181019_142003.jpg

20181019_140852.jpg

20181019_140909.jpg

About 14 years back I bought an Orion Optics 200mm reflector. It came with a tripod very similar to yours.
Yes the modern steel pipe tripod is better, but my ali tripod didn't fail.
Have you used the kit and found problems?

Hope this helps, David.

Hi David,

The mount and tripod now feels solid (after the repair), but I am still trying to fathom how to use it properly. Still trying to work out how to use the EQ mount correctly, as I have never used one before.

Hopefully I can suss it out sooner then later.

Many thanks for the post.

Graham

Hi.
I have one of these. I bought this from the classifieds here last week. I then bought a scope today (also from the classifieds) with the identical tripod as part of a package.

This is a CG5. It has the heavier 2" steel legs, over the more common 1.75. It is very sturdy. It has the 10mm fixing for EQ5/HEQ5 mounts.

I paid £90. I'll take a £10 hit for a weeks ownership. It is in used but good condition. 

I am in Devon.

IMG_0050.JPG

IMG_0049.JPG