SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

November New Moon Spotting

CentaurZ

It’s nearly time for my monthly New Moon spotting challenge. I use the term New Moon in its classical sense of one's first sighting of the Moon after its solar conjunction.

Some sharp-eyed North Americans might want to attempt sighting the less than half-day-old Moon after sunset on Wednesday, November 7. Most observers should have much better luck during the following evening.

Photos and descriptions of the young crescent Moon this month would be welcome additions to this thread.

New-Moon-2.JPG.1003e348747d0b2dd8bacb81f438cf09.JPG

Finally, a clear night. 6%. I'm amazed at how high above the horizon the moon is. At least 20 degrees, perhaps 30. I struggle to get the angles in my mind to give so little illumination but be up so high.

Makes me wonder about my location on the surface of the Earth in relationship to the location of the sun and moon. 

But in the end, it doesn't really matter that much. It'll be going in when I'm no longer looking up in awe.

Archived