Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters.thumb.jpg.b518052b915c2cf31f5f12e33ce0e9d2.jpg

Recommended Posts

Another dim slow moving comet, 7 X 30secs frames 20 minutes apart before clouds arrived.

Taken last night each side of midnight Star Adventurer WOZ61 Canon 60da

Dave

38P-Stephan-Oterma-03-04-11-18.thumb.gif.1e7d545a2f683014e4c6fc1c88b1fd6b.gif

 

  • Like 23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

great animation Dave, darn cloud here for what seams like forever. well done. charl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice one Dave well done.

Bob.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice animation.

But er... shouldn't the comet be moving from right to left?

Don't forget, early hours of Friday (9th - tomorrow) it passes close to the Eskimo Nebula.

Cheers,

Peter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, petevasey said:

But er... shouldn't the comet be moving from right to left?

Probably, PS animation has a habit of loading things backwards, I just stuck it together quickly, needed more time spending on it to even up the background but haven't got around to it :grin:

Yes read about it passing the Eskimo but not sure if I can get it from home, I did this one while away at the weekend somewhere with a clear horizon.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

Probably, PS animation has a habit of loading things backwards, I just stuck it together quickly, needed more time spending on it to even up the background but haven't got around to it :grin:

Yes read about it passing the Eskimo but not sure if I can get it from home, I did this one while away at the weekend somewhere with a clear horizon.

Dave

Hi, Dave,

At midnight it will be 30 degrees above the horizon and rising.  That's at my 55 degree latitude, probably around 4 degrees higher for you, transiting at 4.30 and 60 degrees for you.  But if you've got to go to work tomorrow... 😴

Cheers,

Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, petevasey said:

 

Hi, Dave,

At midnight it will be 30 degrees above the horizon and rising.  That's at my 55 degree latitude, probably around 4 degrees higher for you, transiting at 4.30 and 60 degrees for you.  But if you've got to go to work tomorrow... 😴

Cheers,

Peter

Forecast says clear here around midnight, have to wait for it to clear neighbouring houses and get round to SE, no work I'm retired mate :grin:

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just put a heads up, it's really close just before dawn.

 

andrew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Forecast says clear here around midnight, have to wait for it to clear neighbouring houses and get round to SE, no work I'm retired mate :grin:

Dave

Best of luck, Dave.  Use a pretty long focal length to show up the Eskimo - from your image above the comet doesn't seem to have much of a tail.

I think I'm screwed here in the North East- despite an earlier BBC forecast today promising clear skies, it's looking very doubtful 😢

Cheers,

Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice animation Dave. It clouded over here for a while, now clearing when I'm going to bed, typically. Hope you have some luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, petevasey said:

I think I'm screwed here in the North East- despite an earlier BBC forecast today promising clear skies, it's looking very doubtful

Set up and tracking the Eskimo ( back of neighbours house actually ) need it to get to where Betelgeuse is ATM.

Bit of cloud about but forecast to clear, fingers crossed.

Dave

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got Eskimo and comet in the same frame on Atik314L and SCT but wind is playing havoc with the guiding.

Dave

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Got Eskimo and comet in the same frame on Atik314L and SCT but wind is playing havoc with the guiding.

Dave

Welldone Dave. Please post your image. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tooth_dr said:

Welldone Dave. Please post your image. 

Haven't actually taken any yet, still got some tree branches in the image, need it to get higher and hope it doesn't cloud over first.

Dave

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Haven't actually taken any yet, still got some tree branches in the image, need it to get higher and hope it doesn't cloud over first.

Dave

I hope you succeeded, Dave.  I stayed up until 2 am, but still no sign of clearing, and sat24 showed continuous cloud coming from the South.  So went to bed - I'm up at Kielder this weekend and needed my sleep.  Still cloudy this morning so I made the right decision.  Pity tho' - would have been an interesting image. 

By the way, you said  " needed more time spending on it to even up the background but haven't got around to it "

This link might help.

Cheers,

Peter.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, petevasey said:

I hope you succeeded, Dave.

Thanks for that Peter :grin:, just about to head to the obs'y to see what I caught, not holding out too much hope of a time lapse but should have a usable still.

Using the 10"SCT and it was too windy for it, don't usually bother when it's that windy but obviously had to try last night to get a recognisable Eskimo.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I thought stars are all over the place, will take a while to reshape them before attempting a time lapse so here's a single image just to prove I caught it :grin:

Dave

38P--Eskimo-09-11-18.png.c1a1a295c6344a764f1dab19f3e417bf.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done Dave good cap,

clouded out here last night and tonight it's nothing but rain, so have no chance of the shot...it was windy here to.

Bob.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coloured in version, those with sharp eyes may be able to spot the comet :grin:

Time lapse not going well.

Dave

Eskimo-38P-RGB.png.1e64578e033df029d0098506edaf1828.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice one Dave. Getting good at catching these 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.