Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

38P/Stephan-0terma 03-11-18

55 minutes ago, petevasey said:

But er... shouldn't the comet be moving from right to left?

Probably, PS animation has a habit of loading things backwards, I just stuck it together quickly, needed more time spending on it to even up the background but haven't got around to it :grin:

Yes read about it passing the Eskimo but not sure if I can get it from home, I did this one while away at the weekend somewhere with a clear horizon.

Dave

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

Probably, PS animation has a habit of loading things backwards, I just stuck it together quickly, needed more time spending on it to even up the background but haven't got around to it :grin:

Yes read about it passing the Eskimo but not sure if I can get it from home, I did this one while away at the weekend somewhere with a clear horizon.

Dave

Hi, Dave,

At midnight it will be 30 degrees above the horizon and rising.  That's at my 55 degree latitude, probably around 4 degrees higher for you, transiting at 4.30 and 60 degrees for you.  But if you've got to go to work tomorrow... ?

Cheers,

Peter

2 minutes ago, petevasey said:

Hi, Dave,

At midnight it will be 30 degrees above the horizon and rising.  That's at my 55 degree latitude, probably around 4 degrees higher for you, transiting at 4.30 and 60 degrees for you.  But if you've got to go to work tomorrow... ?

Cheers,

Peter

Forecast says clear here around midnight, have to wait for it to clear neighbouring houses and get round to SE, no work I'm retired mate :grin:

Dave

6 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Forecast says clear here around midnight, have to wait for it to clear neighbouring houses and get round to SE, no work I'm retired mate :grin:

Dave

Best of luck, Dave.  Use a pretty long focal length to show up the Eskimo - from your image above the comet doesn't seem to have much of a tail.

I think I'm screwed here in the North East- despite an earlier BBC forecast today promising clear skies, it's looking very doubtful ?

Cheers,

Peter

9 minutes ago, petevasey said:

I think I'm screwed here in the North East- despite an earlier BBC forecast today promising clear skies, it's looking very doubtful

Set up and tracking the Eskimo ( back of neighbours house actually ) need it to get to where Betelgeuse is ATM.

Bit of cloud about but forecast to clear, fingers crossed.

Dave

1 minute ago, tooth_dr said:

Welldone Dave. Please post your image. 

Haven't actually taken any yet, still got some tree branches in the image, need it to get higher and hope it doesn't cloud over first.

Dave

10 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Haven't actually taken any yet, still got some tree branches in the image, need it to get higher and hope it doesn't cloud over first.

Dave

I hope you succeeded, Dave.  I stayed up until 2 am, but still no sign of clearing, and sat24 showed continuous cloud coming from the South.  So went to bed - I'm up at Kielder this weekend and needed my sleep.  Still cloudy this morning so I made the right decision.  Pity tho' - would have been an interesting image. 

By the way, you said  " needed more time spending on it to even up the background but haven't got around to it "

This link might help.

Cheers,

Peter.

22 minutes ago, petevasey said:

I hope you succeeded, Dave.

Thanks for that Peter :grin:, just about to head to the obs'y to see what I caught, not holding out too much hope of a time lapse but should have a usable still.

Using the 10"SCT and it was too windy for it, don't usually bother when it's that windy but obviously had to try last night to get a recognisable Eskimo.

Dave

Archived