Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

I've decided the Skywatcher dual speed focuser is not up to astrophotography, there's too much play in it, I've tried tightening it up but it still flops about. My sweatheart has asked me what I want for my birthday/xmas presents, as the are very close together I don't mind just the one. So the question is which should I go for, either the Baader Diamond Steeltrack or the Moonlite CR2 dual speed crayford which with the installation kit will be quite a bit more in price.

Having owned both found there’s nothing  to choose between them performance wise and both are equally well made although feel the Baader is a bit more durable. So really it’s which one you like the look of better.

• Like 1

Would suggest a FeaterTouch which is an absolute pleasure to use but now getting to be serious money. £££££££. ?

18 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Having owned both found there’s nothing  to choose between them performance wise and both are equally well made although feel the Baader is a bit more durable. So really it’s which one you like the look of better.

I like the look of the moonlite but prefer the price of the Baader ?

10 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

Maybe autofocuser instead?

Eventually but need a better focuser first

5 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Would suggest a FeaterTouch which is an absolute pleasure to use but now getting to be serious money. £££££££. ?

and everyone can guess what my wife's reaction to me buying one of those would be ?

1 hour ago, Dinglem said:

The main problem with the default focuser, - locking.... it shifts the drawtube.

With autofocuser you will not need to lock the focuser. The pegasus focuscube falls in your pricerange.... However, I am not sure about it's quality.

2 hours ago, Dinglem said:

My Deepskydad autofocus unit on my 200pds (£110) ish goes knowhere solid  

I'll more than likely go for the Baader and look at adding an autofocus some time next year. Thanks for all your responses.

7 hours ago, Dinglem said:

birthday/xmas presents, as the are very close together I don't mind just the one.

Wrong!

Most folk have TWO presents a year! Why take second best!............saving someone a few quid?  

Get the Baader, if your gut feels that way, some cash towards the auto-focuser.

Can you tell I'm in the same boat?  

Edited by Charic
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Charic said:

Wrong!

Most folk have TWO presents a year! Why take second best!............saving someone a few quid?  

Can you tell I'm in the same boat?  

I get several pressies through the year, she just doesn't know ?

• Haha 1

I have only just purchased the moonlite for my sw120 ed pro. Not for Imaging just for viewing.

The feathertouch is preferred for Imaging as far as I was told..

However I think you would be happy with the moonlite .

20181029_173618.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By sonnymoon
      It's an ED80 with the stock focuser. I think there is some astigmatism somewhere as my stars can be a little stretched and so I want to see if I can use a collimating laser to check if the focuser is in straight. (I'm also going to make a determined effort to get the spacing right between the FF//FR and the sensor, but that's another story). I can't see any threads that get into the detail of lining up the focuser with a laser. 
      If I put the laser in with the target bit facing up, then the red dot that bounces back off of the lens is slightly off centre on the target on the collimator. If I loosen the screws, turn through 90deg, retighten and look again, then the red dot is in a different place and so on all the way through 360 deg. I'm thinking that the red dot should be central (as when collimating a Dob that I used to have). Is that right?
      It may be that the laser needs collimating, but I'm not sure how to do that.
      Any advice on whether this approach is going to get me anywhere would be appreciated.

• By ICR_2019
      Hi All
      I thought I would share how I fixed my sloppy rack and pinion focuser on Skywatcher 130p.
      The issue? When using or collimating the slop in the focuser would put the target or centre dot way out of line.
      With the tube tilted downward I removed the 4 screws/nuts  of the focuser to remove it from the OTA.
      Loosen the lock  and 2 adjusting screws, I used a small torx screwdriver as i did't have an allen key small enough.
      Remove the 4 screws holding the adjuster bar in place, and remove the adjuster.
      Note: Be careful to avoid the very sticky grease used on the drive!
      Remove the draw tube assembly, remove the lock/adjusting shim located at the top of the main body.
      There were 2 plastic shims 1 each side of the drive I removed both of them.
       Thoroughly clean everything with degreaser and isopropyl alcohol except the drive itself.
      I cut 2 plastic shims from food packaging, cleaned them, and using 50mm double sided tape I lined out the main focuser body. Be careful to cut to the correct size and shape before installing and don't cover the drive or lock/adjusting shim areas.
      Next using teflon tape purchased from eBay I covered the draw tube exterior.
      I then did the same covering the plastic shims in the main body.
      It was still a little loose so I doubled the teflon tape at the top of the tube either side of the adjusting shim.
      Next I added a plastic shim onto the adjuster shim and covered with teflon tape.
      Put it all back together and almost no slack!
      I can now move the focuser from fully in to fully out without the collomation moving out of the centre ring on the primary.
      Complete success I think.

• By Stargazer33
      Having suffered for some while with broken teeth on my Tracelscope 70s plastic focuser rack; I finally got around to doing something about it.
      First of all I cut a piece of aluminium (aluminum for our friends across the Pond 🇺🇸) the same size and dimensions as the plastic one on the focuser tube. Using the damaged one on the tube as a template, I marked out the replacement and began to file it down to size. Once this was done I copied across the positions of the valleys between the teeth onto the aluminium replacement. Using a manual mitre saw with a blade suitable for metal I cut the valleys. Some rough filing and the rack was almost complete. A hole was drilled at each end to receive a screw. I then cut off the plastic rack from the focuser tube, filed the cut flat and the glued and screwed the replacement into position.
      Due to the rough hand marking, cutting and filing it is not 100% smooth running, but at least it gives me full travel.
      A couple of pics:

Broken plastic rack (removed).                                                     New aluminium rack glued & screwed in place
    • By Piero
      I am selling my Moonlite installation kit for 8" newtonian focuser as shown here 
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/moonlite-focusers/moonlite-installation-kit-for-newtonian-focusers.html 

The installation kit was fitted on my 8" dobson in Italy and used very little (it is essentially new). I no longer need it as the focuser now sits on my 12" dob. 
      New £58, my price: £40 (including RM 1st class signed-for). PayPal (pay as a friend) or direct bank transfer.
      Also advertised on ABS.
      Thanks for looking,
      Piero
    • By _gsran
      Recently got sky watcher skyliner 200P and trying to get started with it. I wanted to use it for terrestrial (sea) views as well. I was expecting the image to be upside down but instead it is angled/sideways. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with scope or I need to tweak anything to get it right? Appreciate any advice. Thanks. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.