Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M78--at last

Rodd

9 minutes ago, tomato said:

Thanks to Tomatobro for bringing the BAA bulletin to my attention, I was looking to image the M78 region to confirm the observation but you beat me to it. ?

You got behind me in the line--we still have a long wait to get in the building!

Rodd

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, tomato said:

And here is the BAA bulletin:

https://britastro.org/node/16309

I collected an additional 180 1min subs.  Now there are 384 60 sec subs. Is the nebula still absent, or is it just really faint?  

Edit--all that data and it is still noisy as heck.  I have the image almost black on my screen and it comes out on others as overblown.  I just don't get it.  I thought allot of subs was supposed to clean up the image.  This is aq grainy as a beach.

M78l.thumb.jpg.35f0d0f79618f1195e5f97aa16a740ad.jpg

On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:52, tomato said:

There is a BAA report that McNeil’s Nebula, a variable Nebula in the vicinity of M78 has disappeared. If I have my location correct, your image would appear to confirm this.

A cosmic event captured, congratulations!?

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 09:56, gorann said:

frustrating exercise

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:11, StargeezerTim said:

Nice image... I think this should be called the "hump back bridge" nebula..

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 15:03, ollypenrice said:

But I scent victory for you, Rodd,

OK guys--here is a crop of a section of my stand alone lum--I added subs and the count is now 385.  There was an improvement in smoothness and quality.  Its subtle and I know another post will not be really noticed.  But this disappearing nebula is interesting.  Please keep in mind that this image was shot at a focal length of 318mm--so there are some processing gafaws.  Click on image for a more reasonable scale.

Edit:  What the heck.  Here I included the final result of my luminance efforts.  I feel the image is almost there--it really is starting to materialize.  Not sure more data is  realistic.  I am hoping that with the addition of the other channels, the irregularities will disappear.

CropDS.jpg.29a9471c755d5a1d32b84ea4bc4ae511.jpg

Final result from which the crop above originated.

Lum-384-LFC-SA2a.thumb.jpg.2d424afba592f61db95dbc64fd3ebd6b.jpg

Archived